Atrox

Making Latches With Leather

I've been searching the site for a while now and I cannot seem to find a post related to what I need, so I figured I might as well ask.

I would like to find some methods for latching a pouch or case shut, that is secure, as well as easy to open, but is made with leather. I could always buy a latch, but there have to be some techniques that look good and can be built with the leather and tools I have in the shop. This forum is such a treasure trove of information, I'm sure someone here has the answer I'm looking for. If only this was around when I made my first bag 20 years ago. ( I still only have about 6 months of experience, not 20 years).

Thanks in advance.

I may have an answer as I made one some time ago. I don't have a picture but I'll try and explain.

A loop, in my case shaped like a staple, was sewn onto the body of the pouch. This was made of strapping about 1/2" wide.

A hole, slightly larger than the staple, is made in the flap so it goes over the staple. The staple has to be large enough to protrude through the hole with enough space for a tab to pass through.

A tab is made of two pieces of leather, one longer than the other. They are stitched together around the tip so a doubled layer pases through the staple. This tab is then stitched or rivetted to the flap above the previously made hole so that the doubled end will pass through the part of the staple that passes through the hole.

The tab can be made stiffer by putting some rawhide or plastic between the layers.

I will try and make one up today to illustrate what I mean. Hope it helps.

Just found a picture of an early prototype from ages ago. It only has a single layer tab and the hole in the flap is a bit too big.

post-636-038697800 1292223392_thumb.png

Edited by gary

I may have an answer as I made one some time ago. I don't have a picture but I'll try and explain.

A loop, in my case shaped like a staple, was sewn onto the body of the pouch. This was made of strapping about 1/2" wide.

A hole, slightly larger than the staple, is made in the flap so it goes over the staple. The staple has to be large enough to protrude through the hole with enough space for a tab to pass through.

A tab is made of two pieces of leather, one longer than the other. They are stitched together around the tip so a doubled layer pases through the staple. This tab is then stitched or rivetted to the flap above the previously made hole so that the doubled end will pass through the part of the staple that passes through the hole.

The tab can be made stiffer by putting some rawhide or plastic between the layers.

Just found a picture of an early prototype from ages ago. It only has a single layer tab and the hole in the flap is a bit too big.

Thanks! That is kind of what I'm looking for, It will give me somewhere to start.

Here are some examples of leather latches we make http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=29656

This is one of the best and strongest "natural" closure methods around. It's a very old technique and the closures done this way last forever. The only problem I have with it is that it is a bit cumbersome and doesn't fit every design. I love it though.

I've been searching the site for a while now and I cannot seem to find a post related to what I need, so I figured I might as well ask.

I would like to find some methods for latching a pouch or case shut, that is secure, as well as easy to open, but is made with leather. I could always buy a latch, but there have to be some techniques that look good and can be built with the leather and tools I have in the shop. This forum is such a treasure trove of information, I'm sure someone here has the answer I'm looking for. If only this was around when I made my first bag 20 years ago. ( I still only have about 6 months of experience, not 20 years).

Thanks in advance.

Al Stohlmans The art of making leather cases volume 1 shows how to make several leather closures plus lots of other good stuff and it's cheap

Bryan

Edited by bkingery