Making a pair of shoes for my grandson. Basic layout done, very simple pattern. Time to start lastng them into shape. Bison outter leather lined with pigskin. Leather soles to be used.

Aaron

post-2349-0-82568300-1389251778_thumb.jp

I got them finished. The sole is leather covered with Barge to make a gum looking sole. I think they are still a little big, better that way than to small though.

post-2349-0-12728000-1389582488_thumb.jp

Very nice. Did you end up mixing the Barge with leather dust or rubber bits?

Very nice. Did you end up mixing the Barge with leather dust or rubber bits?

Well... LOL I was going to grind up some leather in the blender but thought I might get in trouble. I did not quickly find any rubber dust and I figured the shoes would end up being a prototype. So I used sawdust. It actually worked pretty well, but I am on the lookout for rubber grindings now. I do have a meat grinder that is not in use so I may try feeding some rubber gasket material through it and see how it works.

I got them finished. The sole is leather covered with Barge to make a gum looking sole. I think they are still a little big, better that way than to small though.

Very nIce. I like the fact that the shoes are wide. Most little people have wider feet and more cushion on the top of their feet than adults and a lot of the manufactured shoes don't fit very well.

Does he like them?

Very nIce. I like the fact that the shoes are wide. Most little people have wider feet and more cushion on the top of their feet than adults and a lot of the manufactured shoes don't fit very well.

Does he like them?

The width was how the lasts were. The lasts are pretty old, at least 50 or so years so they are old school on the shape.

Not sure if he likes them or not... he is still pretty short.

post-2349-0-96321600-1389667530_thumb.jp

The width was how the lasts were. The lasts are pretty old, at least 50 or so years so they are old school on the shape.

Not sure if he likes them or not... he is still pretty short.

LOL He sure is a cutie!

Well... LOL I was going to grind up some leather in the blender but thought I might get in trouble. I did not quickly find any rubber dust and I figured the shoes would end up being a prototype. So I used sawdust. It actually worked pretty well, but I am on the lookout for rubber grindings now. I do have a meat grinder that is not in use so I may try feeding some rubber gasket material through it and see how it works.

The blender trick at my house would surely cause trouble! I'm not sure if rubber would bind in the auger of a meat grinder, share your results if you try it. Sawdust and Barge, they have good traction?

Where did you come across the lasts?

I'll post when I get the rubber grinding part figured out.

I bought the lasts off of EBAY. I think they were about $25.

Very well.

Here is my grandson's shoes

Greetings.

Hennie.

Baby Shoes.jpg

post-42176-0-23119900-1391187506_thumb.j

Edited by Hennie

Hello to you too. I like the ones you did. I saw that you have a full set of lasts, that was a lucky find, I have been looking for a full set for a very long time. I have a few that I have bought off ebay, but have not located a smoking deal on a full set.

I like the fact that my grandson is going to learn to walk in shoes that I made him.

Sweet shoes Electrathon!!

I work on two pairs of boots at present-for man and his 6yrs old son. Hope all will be rady because kids lasts are different parameters than adult sizes and i haven´t experiences with child boot size and patterns. :dunno: Off course- i must make quickly, boy is bigger and bigger every day :rofl:

Sweet shoes Electrathon!!

I work on two pairs of boots at present-for man and his 6yrs old son. Hope all will be rady because kids lasts are different parameters than adult sizes and i haven´t experiences with child boot size and patterns. :dunno: Off course- i must make quickly, boy is bigger and bigger every day :rofl:

Funny, I bought the lasts a few months ago. My son was at my house and told me I better get them done or my grandson would be too big for them. I will likely make matching shoes for me and my grandson (maybe will throw my son in too) in the future. In years back when myson was small i would buy him and I matching shirts. He was very proud when we went someplace togeather and he matched dad. I hope to have that connetion with my grandson too.