naomij

Leather Trapeze Boots

Hi all,

This is my first post here, and while I’ve been skulking around for a while getting tips on working with leather I’ve never really asked for feedback before so please be gentle with me!

I really would like to hear what people think about some leather boots I make. I make boots specifically for aerialists, those performing or training on trapeze, silks, rope etc. They are great to help protect feet and legs, and before I started making them I got all manner of scars from aerial training. Since I started making them they have been pretty popular (in the aerial world!) and I send all over, particularly the US (I’m in the UK).

I try and make them to the best quality I can and while I often get feedback from aerialists I thought it would be great to get the perspective of those working with leather to try and make them better. I’m very much a newbie with leather and everything I’ve learnt has been adapted from previous sewing experience, trial and error and trawling the internet for advice.

I recently posted some photos outlining my boot making process to show what sort of work I put into my boots. Please take a peek!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.480594782047017.1073741827.106454506127715&type=1

I would really love a machine skiver to trim down bulk on seams and with edges but as a student I cannot justify the costs. But if anyone knows of somewhere in West Sussex, around Chichester, that would skive leather for a small fee I would love to know.

Also I use a relatively thin cowhide from Le Prevo as I found it is easy to work with and is thin enough to avoid excess bulk but I would like to use something a bit thicker if I could get access to a skiver. And I get requests for all sorts of colour combinations. The cowhide only comes in red, white and black. If anyone has any suggestions for suppliers, leather types that may work well that would be great.

Thank you!!!

Naomi

Very elegant. Good clean stitching

Dan

These look great! I'd like to have a pair of soled boots in this style.