thefanninator

February Keep Making Stuff Challenge

We're doing tboyce's Dopp kit pattern for February:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=60062W

Nice choice! Can't wait to see everyone's work again.

Likewise! This one's going to be fun. Rlkey beat us to it by almost two weeks.

I wasn't able to work on last months project because life interfered and I didn't get much leatherworking time. Things are getting back to normal though and I see something I could use this project for. I have wanted to make a storage case for a tool and this case would work well, I just need to make it a little smaller. Probably about half the size would work, but I'll follow the same basic design.

If the pattern is printed out at 100% the square dotted line is 4" x 4".

Edited by thefanninator

Does it have to be exactly like the pattern? Or can you vary it a bit for personal style?

There were several changes to last months, I don't see why this month would be any different.

Feel free to add your personal touch. I cut the pattern the same but will use a different closure and I stitched it together inside out.

Well it's almost the middle of the month and I haven't even cut the leather out yet! I need to get this started the weekend.

lol, me too, Bob. But at least that much is happening this/next week.

Mine's been stitched up for at least a week. Trying to decide on a different closure.

Finished the dopp kit over the weekend. Fun project, a lot more relaxing than the wallet.

forgot specs: Horween Dublin 5-6 oz, and Horween horse croc print.

post-38542-0-27957800-1424100987_thumb.jpost-38542-0-05612900-1424100410_thumb.jpost-38542-0-90057300-1424100410_thumb.jpost-38542-0-23198500-1424100408_thumb.jpost-38542-0-18679800-1424100409_thumb.j

Edited by MonicaJacobson

Nice Monica!

Very Nice Monica! I have three pieces of that Horween Croc print on my shelf now. Still haven't decided what i will make from it.

Great job!

Karina

Very nice Monica. You do nice clean work. Wish I could emulate you.

Charlie

Thanks, you guys! Karina, I have the same problem. I was going to make a bag out of the black Dublin with a croc flap like the dopp kit, but I was running low on the dublin, so opted for the kit. I was also thinking it'd be fun to pair with brown for a tote...

Charlie, I think you'll be agreeably surprised if you try this pattern. The hardest part are the straps that go through, and you can use a different way to close it.

Great work Monica

The croc print is a really nice looking touch.

Is it a wrap as is ? or are you planning to maybe use Sam Brown buttons on end of straps ?

Its still nicely done ! ------ Wild Bill46

It seems to stay very solidly shut as it is... I am tempted to add a d-ring with a wrist loop on the side, though.

It seems to stay very solidly shut as it is... I am tempted to add a d-ring with a wrist loop on the side, though.

My first dopp kit design was made this way a few years ago, and trust me, after a few months of use, and the buyer stuffing everything they can in them, you will need something to keep it closed. I sold quite a few of that design, and the leather straps seemed solid when it left my shop also, but it only took one client to return the item for me to stop making them that way. From that point on I went with buckle closures. I ended up replacing the straps altogether on the returned bag and adding button studs which he didn't like at all, (he claimed it wasn't so easy to close) so after returning it to me a second time, I went with buckles. It's been about three years now and not a peep from him so I am guessing the buckles was the ticket!

Just my two cents worth,

Karina

Huh, sounds like he was one of those customers. However, they do let you know about every problem, so I guess they're a good thing. Thanks for letting me benefit from your experience. I'll probably go ahead and add Sam Brown buttons for each strap, like Bill suggested. Next time, I'd probably go with the kind this store sells. The problem is taken care of, and it's more user-friendly.

post-38542-0-26272500-1424140535_thumb.j

Edited by MonicaJacobson

Huh, sounds like he was one of those customers. However, they do let you know about every problem, so I guess they're a good thing. Thanks for letting me benefit from your experience. I'll probably go ahead and add Sam Brown buttons for each strap, like Bill suggested. Next time, I'd probably go with the kind this store sells. The problem is taken care of, and it's more user-friendly.

Yes those are nice! The owner has a short video on Vimeo of her making that bag. About 3 months now I have been working with waxed canvas. I am attempting a roll top hiking bag with leather accents. Three failed attempts but I am getting closer. I am not using a pattern, just flying by the seat of my pants and every time I make one, the design changes and I figure out a new piece of the puzzle. The good thing about it is canvas is waaaaay cheaper than leather and I can afford to make it over and over until I get it right. Seems like every time I sew one I have an "oh crap" moment where I should have sewed a particular part first. I am pretty much self-taught with a sewing machine so it is slow going when I have so many parts and pieces to put together, but I will get there.

Karina

Edited by veedub3

Sweet! At some point, I'm going to have to track you down and take pictures of your stuff myself! :) Where are you getting your waxed canvas? I love the idea of canvas and leather bags. Do you use a jean needle, or does a normal needle work just fine?

Sweet! At some point, I'm going to have to track you down and take pictures of your stuff myself! :) Where are you getting your waxed canvas? I love the idea of canvas and leather bags. Do you use a jean needle, or does a normal needle work just fine?

I know right!:):), I suck at taking photos of my work. The wax canvas I am practicing on I am actually hand waxing myself. i get the canvas from Big Duck Canvas up in Athens, GA, and I got the wax recipe off of one of those Bushwack Blade Forums or something like that - it's just paraffin and beeswax. Once I get this design down, I may try out the waxed canvas fabric from this shop, but it's not cheap here so I need to have the pattern finalized before I go this route. I am using two machines for this, three if you include the Serger. Couldn't tell you what kind of needles are in the Serger, I use a Singer Industrial 95-10 for the main part of the bag, and a Pfaff 360 with a free arm for going around the top of the bag - both with 110/18 denim needles.

Karina