Dallas Cowboy

Advice For Basic And Intro Books Or Dvd's

I am trying to find the best books or DVDs for the basics of leather working. Things like carving, stamping, cutting and proper tool use. I read on another thread that books by Al Stohlman are recommended. Any other books or DVDs that you recommend? Interested in making belts, chaps, holsters, wallets etc....Simple stuff but i would like to learn from the beginning instead of making tons of mistakes trying to jump ahead several steps at a time. Thanks DC

Jerimiah Watt has a nice DVD on carving and stamping.

I will try to find that and check it out. Thank you for the reply

I am a beginner also and, at the recommendation of others, picked up "Leatherwork Manual" By Stohlman, Patten and Wilson and I love it. If you are looking for the very basics, this is a great book with plenty of illustrations.

Thanks for the reply Mike. That one was on my list to look into as well.

You can not beat Chan Geers videos. He is likely the best teacher on sheridan tooling.

http://www.amazon.com/Leathercraft-Tools-Al-Stohlman/dp/1892214903

This is a great book on how to use, sharpen etc, leather working tools.

You're in Texas, tons of great leather workers there. Try to find a local leather crafters guild.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I looked up all of the suggestions and there is a wealth of knowledge out there.

I looked at the Chan DVDs and the Watt DVD's. Anyone have any comparisons between the two?

I am trying to find the best books or DVDs for the basics of leather working. <<<snip>>>

Some on-line leather groups have libraries of information that they allow their members to check out DVDs or books for a period of time. Some on-line leather groups are: www.pslac.org , iilg.org

Hope this helps.

Bob Stelmack