ivobuskes

Stitching Glove

Looks great. Did you get a pattern for it somewhere? I'd like to make myself one someday.

Chris

ivobuskes ________________________________

This is a really neat idea, Never would have thought to do it myself.

Im still using one I purchased from good ole Tandy. -------------------------------- Wild Bill46

I purchased two Osborne stitching gloves, but I only used one of them once, for two reasons: 1) it was so clumsy to use that it caused me to bend a needle; and 2) more importantly once I learned to saddle stitch I realized that I don't need a glove -- at all, ever. I have two brand new gloves, one for each hand. I'd gladly discuss a trade, for almost anything leather-wise. They are likely my most unused of all my leather tools/accessories.

So I ask the folks who have these, do you actually used them and why? Saddle stitching doesn't require them and in fact using a glove would destroy the "dance of he needles" as Nigel Armitage describes it. Is there another application that I am unaware of?

Humbly,

Michelle

Morning,

it’s rare I get on here these days as life is so hectic, it’s good… but hectic.

This is a just in-case note…

Ivobuskes, you have done a lovely job of making them and may well use them to stitch canvas. I am adding my bit in support of Michelle’s comment about them being used for stitching leather.

These are sail makers palms and not designed for stitching leather.

You do not prepare canvas and the needle needs to be forced through to get the stitch.

Sail makers needles are much longer, thicker and tougher than saddlers needles and will take the pressure of being pushed like this.

Once the needle is in the canvas, the canvas opens and it is easier to pull out.

If you have to use these to push the needle through leather, it is unlikely you will get it out without a struggle.

This is the purpose of the awl, you open the hole you are stitching, enough to make the stitch, ideally enough so the two needles pass through without force.

If you use this to push the needle through, you then have to deal with the bulb of thread at the eye.

Too much pleasure at this point will wear the thread.

Whilst saddler’s needles are strong, they will bend if used like this.

Any force used in the saddlers stitch is putting the needled where it wants to go, not necessarily where you want it.

Good preparation and precision on making your holes will make your stitching much easier and neater.

I do know some saddlers use the back of the awl to ‘push through’ but again, you have the issue of pulling out. Anyway, this is a glover’s trick as they tend not to use an awl and sharp triangular needles.

It is also used in shoe making where the stitch cannot be seen.

There are so many ways of stitching, no one way is better than the other, much like the long standing argument over machine vs hand.

But to narrow down to the saddlers stitch, you should not have to use a palm.

That being said, if it works for you… then it’s good enough.

If you get the right results, you are certainly doing something right.

Right, I off to get back in my box… Nige