Sign in to follow this  
mulepackin

Howdy

I've been lurking around for some time so thought I better introduce myself. Didn't see an introduction thread any where, so excuse me if this isn't the place. The saddle work forum is what drew me here, so here is where I'll put this. I build Decker pack saddle trees. Am playing with the idea of starting to build the entire pack saddle, as well as researching the building of regular trees and saddles. I'm a long way off but enjoy what I'm learning here, the fantastic work I a am seeing and the tips and tricks. I am in central Montana. Born and raised on a cattle ranch which I still am actively involved in. Its not my pay job though, usual story, the place is too small for my dad and I, but too big for just him. Anyway, hello every one.

Welcome to the board and feel free to post some pics of what you do!!! I'd really like to see one of your pack saddles. Don't know if we have anybody on here that does that, so give us some info on what all you do......and again.........show us some pics!!

Tim

Hi and welcome to Leatherworker.net! You've found one of the friendliest sites on the entire net, and you're sure to meet some fine people here.

Hey from South Dakota. Interested in learning more about pack saddles.

Hey from South Dakota. Interested in learning more about pack saddles.

Well as I said in my intro post, I only build Decker trees. Not building entire pack saddles yet. I do pack fairly often and have some ideas of my own on how things should be. I'm pretty traditional in my approach to packing and what a good pack saddle should be like. I am open to ideas though. I don't have a lot of pics of my trees as they always seem to leave the shop before I get around to taking photos. I suspect like many, I don't do any for months on end, then have to try to get 4 turned out in a few weeks. Here are couple shots of some steel, standard hoop trees I did last spring for a local outfitter. 90% of my trees are cast bronze ( I use Bork hardware) with standard hoops, but I am getting more requests for modified hoops. This fella wanted a utility tree. All of my trees are carved from cottonwood, the hoops are cold riveted on which I believe is the strongest, most durable form of attatchment. It's also what the USFS spec calls for.

Copy_of_100_2359.jpgCopy_of_100_2358.jpg

post-7797-1230532058_thumb.jpg

post-7797-1230532117_thumb.jpg

Welcome aboard. I would be interested in talking with you about your pack saddles. I have a good friend that packs in to the "Bob" and the Scapegoat regularly. I have made him three mule saddles over the past five years. He, like you keeps things fairly traditional but likes to try new things to save weight in the mountains. I think I will try to get you and him hooked up.

If you would, send me a pm with your contact information so I can call you. I live in Lewistown, MT. If you are in central Montana, we should not be too far apart. I have another friend in the area that wants me to work on a pack saddle so I might just pass that work on to you who would know more than I would on that.

I am in Oregon at the moment looking at heading back on Tuesday but not being home until Thursday night.

Have a great new year and I will look forward to chating with you in the future.

Joe

Welcome to the board. I specialize in building pack saddles and related equipment.(www.horseandmulegear.com). Right now we build our own trees. We use the manganese bronze arches from herb. We are the ones that made up the pattern for his modified arch. I'm always interested in new trees and the one you pictured looks nice. It's hard to find people doing a good job on pack saddle trees, which is why we started doing our own. I'd be interested in talking to you sometime about yours.

Chris

That tree looks really nice. I've never used a Decker before......only sawbucks. How do you attach the panniers to a decker?? On a sawbuck you just throw the loops over the cross to the far side and adjust the strap for hang if you have to. On a Decker do you do the same or different?? Cause it looks like it could slip off a Decker if you did it the same way.

It might seem a simple question, but I have honestly never used or even seen a Decker used. Only sawbucks.

....and by the way mulepackin........if you don't mind, throw out a first name for us.

Thanks,

Tim

Timbo, on the traditional Decker style tree like mulepackin posted, you would need to use Decker hooks to attach the bag or box straps to the tree. On a modified Decker tree the arches have some shoulder to them and you can use them just like you would a sawbuck and they won't slip off.

Thanks Chris.........Think I've seen those hooks on some websites but guess I never put it together. I like the idea of a decker over a sawbuck.

Tim

You can also directly buckle your pannier straps to the decker hoops. Just a bit cumbersome and unwieldy. The decker originally was designed to be used with mantied loads, which are then attached with any number of hitches. The basket hitch, the barrel hitch being the most common. This system allows a lot more flexibility in that your container, the manty tarp, is made to fit your cargo, rather than your cargo having to be made to fit into a fairly rigid or unyielding container, the pannier. It does require more experience and practice mantying, loading, tying hitches and balancing loads, but once you get it down its a great system. Here is a basket hitched manty:

packing_equipment.jpg

Jim

post-7797-1230616223_thumb.jpg

Nice lookin' mule Jim!!! I want to pack with mules someday....all I've ever packed with is horses. I'll have to study up on the mantied loads and your hitches. All I know is panniers, top loads, center loads, tarps and squaw hitches..........and even when I was learning this stuff, in the back of my mind i was saying....."there has to be a better way"...........and it looks like there is.

In our defense though, we have to pack some really weird looking bags and luggage into the mountains. A gal brought a bag this summer that could not be lifted by one person alone. Turns out she had at least 2 changes of clothes per day and I saw her wear at least 5 different pairs of shoes. She had enough clothes for 2 months and was only out for 5 days. Shoot, I only bring along another pair of jeans in case I get mine torn or skunked. Granted they will stand up by themselves at the end of the trip but the horses don't mind......and I'm the only one in my tent.

Thanks for posting the info and the pic.

Tim

Welcome to the board Mulepackin!

As you've allready seen there is lots of helpful people here so this is really the place where you can look forward to gain new experience, knowledge and new friends...even all the way from Sweden;-)

Tom