Lizard

Sweat Droped On My Dye, What To Do?

Last night while dying (Fiebings Pro Oil Saddle Tan) a pancake holster outside in the heat, a drop of sweat fell from my forhead right square on the face of the holster. I didn't think much about it, I just wiped it off and continued the dying process. Much to my disappointment after it dryed, it left a darker water spot. It's not a major dark spot, but a blimish none the less. My next step would be a couple of coats of Montana Pitch Blend, finish the edges and then a little Kiwi netural for shine. I don't know if I should chance another coat of dye to try and lessen the spot or if this would just enhance the spot and make it darker. If I just go ahead and apply the MPB as normal, it usually darkens the dye a little and may blend in, or it also could enhance the spot and make it stand out. I'm looking for a little advice from the more experinced here in hopes of salvaging what has been a good build up to this point. I've spent some time stamping and tooling this holster and would hate to lose it for something stupid like this. I guess I've got to be more careful from now on.

Thanks,

Lizard

You can even it out with a little Purell. I have used it to even out dye on many things. You don't want to use it much on the stamped areas as it has some water in it. Rob

First, I would curse at it and slap my head! Just kidding. I would ditto R Lenna's suggestion.

Sweat is more than water, it includes a little bit of oil, some salt, and other trace minerals. So you're not just dealing with the spot in the dye, you're also looking at a little splotch of leather that will absorb differently than the rest. I'd say stop work on the holster and reproduce a sweat drop on scrap. Do your experiments THERE. Some things you might try, are the purell (presumably to 're-wet' the dye), putting a little rubber cement on it, let dry, and peel off to try to pull the contaminates off, or giving it a good coat of light oil before the MPB to hopefully even out the absorption rate. In the past, I've used liquid latex (model building section of Hobby Lobby) to pull ALL the dye off a project and start over.

Turn on the air conditioning, stay cool when you tool.

Thanks for the advice folks. I went with a second coat of dye, made the leather a little darker as well as the sweat spot so no real change there. I then threw all caution to the wind and went to the Montana Pitch Blend. It also made the leather darker, but seemed to blend it in a little better. So after three coats of MPB and finished off with Kiwi, the normal observer can't tell that it's a spot, but I still know it's there. So now I have a very servicable holster that's darker than I wanted but still looks pretty good. I guess we all learn from our mistakes.

Lizard

A drop of sweat.....what a perfect natural makers mark!! .....only thing that could beat that would be a drop of your blood......I say, leave it!