MunkeyB

Saggy Leather Boots

I've this pair of leather boots for years. Over time they've gotten wet a few times getting on and off the ship and the boots have begun to sag pretty badly. Any ideas on how to keep my leather boots erect? I don't want to be walking around with saggy leather flopping around.

Thank you for your help in advance

MB

Edited by MunkeyB

I like to think of myself as the last guy to say a thing can't be done. But it comes down to how it's going to look.

Making a boot that doesn't sag is taken care of way at the beginning to the design and construction process, so anything done now is going to be half a**.

The shoe repair trade has "heel liners" for boots that might stiffen it some, but unless you do something to the front, it's still going to sag. And in either case, it's going to be problomatic, because it needs to be stitched blind, even if done on a long arm patcher. And if your stitch line so much as 1/4" away from the edge, the liner can turn at the edge from going in and out of it. That can be irritateing.

If you wanted to stitch a firmer leather to the ouside, verticaly in the middle of the boots where the sagging is, it might help. But again, it's gonna look bad no matter what.

My suggestion is to have a pair handmade with this as a paricular request.

Or just put me down as someone who says it can't be done...

I like to think of myself as the last guy to say a thing can't be done. But it comes down to how it's going to look.

Making a boot that doesn't sag is taken care of way at the beginning to the design and construction process, so anything done now is going to be half a**.

The shoe repair trade has "heel liners" for boots that might stiffen it some, but unless you do something to the front, it's still going to sag. And in either case, it's going to be problomatic, because it needs to be stitched blind, even if done on a long arm patcher. And if your stitch line so much as 1/4" away from the edge, the liner can turn at the edge from going in and out of it. That can be irritateing.

If you wanted to stitch a firmer leather to the ouside, verticaly in the middle of the boots where the sagging is, it might help. But again, it's gonna look bad no matter what.

My suggestion is to have a pair handmade with this as a paricular request.

Or just put me down as someone who says it can't be done...

I guess a bit more detail would have been more helpful The boots I'm talking about are Large black pirate boots a lot like these

pirate_boots_101042.jpg

The tops are starting to sag down around the ankle. I had read that paraffin was or bees wax rubbed into the leather would help it stay stiffer but there was no mention of whether I have to melt the wax or not before rubbing it in. Regardless I figured you guys know your leather and would be able to give me some tips.

Thanks Again

~MB

Here's what a seamstress would do. ... sew some elastic inside the cuff... across and vecro on the other (in) side. The elastic would keep them up and if you get black velcro and black elastic... it's not seen. To hide the seams for sewing on the elastic and velcro... just make sure it's hidden under the cuff.

I like Sylvia's idea-or if you always wear pants that go into the top of the boots, you could sew two buttons to the pant's legs (inside and outside seam) and cut slits in the boots to accept the buttons. The holes & buttons would be hidden by the boot cuff. I do something similar to hold up my French and Indian War gaiters.

Cheers!

I like Sylvia's idea-or if you always wear pants that go into the top of the boots, you could sew two buttons to the pant's legs (inside and outside seam) and cut slits in the boots to accept the buttons. The holes & buttons would be hidden by the boot cuff. I do something similar to hold up my French and Indian War gaiters.

Cheers!

So weird! I was actually thinking the very same thing, when I had looked at the picture. :Lighten:

It's sorta like suspenders for your boots.