Sign in to follow this  
Shorts

Belt Slide Holster for Colt Commander

I though a simple belt slide in the batch would work. Here it is. Dyed and edges burnished, but no top coat (come on Tandy, where's my order??) :blush:

Very neat work. Did you also make the matching belt?

Shorts

Nice job on the holster :thumbsup:

Randy

Clean and nice design!

One pointer about sliders from my own experience is that if the inside gets right on top of the hip bone it can cause an annying irritation there. I have a smaller sheath for a laserpointer (use it a lot in my job) that no matter how I try to move it away from the bone it slides back after a while.

Tom

Good looking rig! Have you sent it to your client yet? If yes, how do they like it?

Thanks yall

Regis, I did not make the belt. It's my everyday Carhartt I thought I'd give some face time.

Tom, I definitely understand the hip irritation. Hopefully this one won't. One of the things I work on is once I make a pattern, I wear it and see how it fits, then adjust the pattern and make an updated version and hopefully hit the nail on the head. I am female so my figure is a decent test for 'how it fits'. I realize not all people, or women are built exactly like me but I thought that if I holster is comfortable on me, it may have a good chance to be comfortable on others. So, hit or miss but we shall see! A lot of the times the irritation is from the belt on my off-side hip. I believe that is due to some structural differences I have sagitally ;)

Srigs, I have not sent this one out. This is for me. I currently don't make holsters for sale, but I am in the process of establishing some patterns. Once I get some made I'll send them out to friends to try out. I'll go from there.

How's-it-fit? pics:

Edited by Shorts

It is bigger than I thought, seeing it sit like that I feel there is less probability of hip irritation c'uz with that size friction will probably hold it in it's place.

I know all about those structural differences, darn they're hard to get rid off, lol.

Tom

Good looking holster. My only concern with wearing a holster of this type would be weapon retention/security. IMO, because the holster doesn't extend to the end of the barrel there is always a chance of it hitting something when you squat or sit... which could dislodge the weapon. I know several people that carry in a yaqui slide that had retention problems and others who didn't. Dropping a concealed weapon in public is embarrassing to say the least.

Looking forward to seeing more of your holsters.

Tom, I think it will stay put. Another factor is where the holster loops are relative to the jean loops on the belt. For me, I place the rear holster loop on thebackside of the jean loop. So, it has no chance of sliding forward past that point. Now, it can be slid backwards:

livingeasy, that is a very legitimate concern. I've been getting in and out of my desk chair here the last hour or so and I hit the gun muzzle on the arm rest several times. So far, the gun has stayed in place, but there's surely a possibility it can be pushed out. Longer barreled pistols would be even more prone to that mishap. Incorporating a thumb strap would help security. Though, not sure if I'm quite ready to tackle that one (I personally don't like thumbstraps) but others do ;) It's certainly an option.

I like how the "bat wings" around the belt slots look like they stablize the holster real well. It also tucks up real well. I think you found a winner and a unique pattern. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Shorts:

Nice job on the holster. Very clean lines. We've done that very same style for a while now for some of our customers. We add a throat reinforcement on ours. It was a spinoff from one of other holsters.

Keep up the excellent work!