rawhide1

Can The Skirts Be Fixed Or Does It Need New Ones

Hello all

I came across this saddle on ebay. I was looking to get it for my daughter. It needs some work as you can see but the main thing I'm concerned with is the warped skirts. Can they be reshaped or do they need replaced. Any input is greatly appreciated.Here's the item #130539143620

http://cgi.ebay.com/...IT#ht_500wt_949

Thanks, MIke

Mike, in looking at the saddle from the back, it doesn't look square. The seat definitely isn't square with the fork - everything is pulled to the left. And maybe it is just the angle of the picture but the cantle looks like it isn't square to the fork either - maybe the right side is down and back? There may be more problems than just bent skirts with this one.

Denise

Thanks for the reply. I noticed it didn't look square but I wasn't sure if it was just the picture. Thanks for listing all that in detail and telling why it doesn't look square. I'm waiting to hear back from the fella on if the tree is sound. I wonder if a horse went over on this saddle. That's probably why it's going so cheap. I should probably pass on this one.

Thanks again, Mike

I would say leave it alone. Even if the trees in good shape the horn needs to be covered and it needs a new seat. You might get the skirts to lay back down like their supposed to by taking them off wetting them and setting bunch of weight on them. But the main thing is Billy Cook is way over rated. The last few i had to work on the bars on the tree were straight no twist and i haven't ever seen a horse with a straight flat back.

Thanks for the input dirtclod. I think I will pass on this.

Mike

I would agree with all comments so far, walk away from this one. With just the repairs to the seat it would put you up into the price range for a much better used saddle.

The pic of the screw with the finish washer shows an additional pressure mark, probably the seat has been removed recently to either check the problem or an attemp to repair a problem.

And yes, the seat looks out of square, I am wondering if the tree has been broken and then badly repaired.

Try some auctions in your area, you wouldn't believe the good deals on good used saddles.

Goerge

Thanks for the reply I went ahead and passed on it.

Mike

Mike, if you come across a saddle/s with a large V in the stitching on the seat by the lower edge of the cantle, pass them up also. Don't fit horses very well. They are sold under various brand names but ooriginate from the same factory.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep a eye out for that.

Mike