Sign in to follow this  
particle

IWB Clip Upgrades?

Okay - so, like most things in my life, I did a little research, looked around at my existing resources, and dove right in without a completely worked out plan....

I recently made a gun belt, utilizing two layers of 8/9oz. leather. When I tried to wear my Don Hume IWB holster, the metal clip that it came with doesn't work with the thickness of the gun belt (the belt is too thick, but I don't think it's really any thicker than most other people seem to make their belts). It seems it was only designed to work with single layer dress belts. Thus, the metal clips from Tandy and such will probably have similar problems.

Anyone else run into this problem? I don't have any pics of the back of the holster, but the second image is from a quick google search.

613128157_6TboN-L.jpg

P2140307.jpg

Edited by particle

I'm not an IWB guy but I know a few people who clip the gun over the top of their pants and under the belt. The one IWB holster that I have uses Kydex clips that I made. I did have to remake them after I got a double thickness gun belt.

Bronson

With two layers of 8-9 oz leather, your belt is approx. 1/4" total thickness. Obviously, your metal clip does not have that much clearance.

I have not seen any metal belt clips that would offer sufficient clearance for a belt that thick. You might want to look into the "J-Clips", typically made of Kydex, intended to slide between the trouser material and the belt with a J-shaped hook that secures the the bottom of the belt.

This, in my opinion, is where certain aspects of custom holsters and belt setups start to become noticeable from mass-produced goods. I'm not a fan of those metal clips to begin with, but add a proper carry belt and you can see they weren't designed to accommodate carry belts. I say make yourself a holster to match your belt - you can likely rival or exceed the quality anyway.

I don't use clips on any of my IWB holsters. I use belt straps instead. I make a very similer holster to yours. I use T-nuts on the underside of the throat band and attach the beltstrap to the throat band with screws. If you go that route, you should consider using Dot Durable Duty or Pull The Dop Snaps. Below is a photo of my personal Kahr PM45 and holster. You built a beautiful holster, that deserves quality belt straps.

Randy

KahrPM45SummerSpecialEnhanced.jpg

Thanks Randy for the compliments and tip on the straps - but I didn't build the holster - it was made by Don Hume. I simply made a belt that's too thick for the metal clip. :)

I'll probably simply build a new holster for my Kahr with a better attachment method for gun belts. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.