Old Navy

pricking iron

Hi,I have been looking at pricking tools.Do I need one tool or does it take two tools to do a job?And do you think they are worth a 100.00?Thanks,navy

In my opinion, if you want to produce quality hand-sewing, in a truly traditional fashion, you definitely do need a pricking iron. You don't necessarily need a vast range of stitch sizes - I do most of my work at 8 stitches per inch.

Joseph Dixon have a good range of English-made pricking irons in a variety of sizes, from ½" to 1½" widths. You would probably find that 1" wide would be good for most applications, and these are only $58.00 (plus shipping, which would be minimal).

http://www.josephdix...ing.html?page=4

I hated paying the price for my irons but I'm sure glad I did it. I agree with Celtic, just buy the sizes that you need the most. There is a fellow on Ebay selling pricking irons that are very pricey but he sells them in both left and right which I haven't seen from the Blanchard ones that I use, and I'm not sure if Joseph Dixon produces them either. Regardless of which manufacturer you choose, good ones are always expensive.

Darcy

I bought a cheap pricking iron some years ago as I thought the prices were generally too high. Big mistake. The teeth were not well set, some at different angles to others, and the metal was poor quality. It went in the bin and I've reverted to quality irons since then.

By the way, standard pricking irons are made with the teeth marking the diagonal '/ / / / / / / /', a pricking iron that makes the opposite diagonal '\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \' is called a portmanteau pricking iron (or portmanteau pricker) and was originally used by luggage makers so that corner and butt joints looked nicer and were symmetrical when finished.

I'd agree that a 1 inch 8spi iron is a good all-round size. I sometimes use 10spi which is fiddly and I have a 12spi that I avoid like the plague as my eyes aren't up to it.

Gary

Edited by gary

Are pricking irons simply used for marking the diagonal lines on the leather? Or do you actually penetrate all the way through to eliminate the need for an awl?

They are intended to just mark the leather, not punch all the way through. I have heard of some using it in that fashion though.

They are intended to just mark the leather, not punch all the way through. I have heard of some using it in that fashion though.

I would like more information on thishelpsmilie.gif I've been using them wrong thenunsure.gif

I would like more information on thishelpsmilie.gif I've been using them wrong thenunsure.gif

This is part of a page from a book I bought authored by Valarie Michael, entitled, The Leatherworking Handbook, A Practical Illustrated Sourcebook of techniques and projects

It's a very good book and explains the use of lots of tools.

pricking iron.JPG

post-3307-126029592224_thumb.jpg

In that case, which craft tool number is this guy using in the following video at 5:39? I have one of these, but the holes are too big - I think mine is larger than his, but his stitches look perfectly fine to me...?

That's not a pricking iron, that tool is intended to punch all the way through. It is called a diamond hole punch. A pricking iron makes diagonal marks on leather so that the maker can align a regular diamond awl (which doesn't make large holes by the way).

This is a pricking iron in use...

pricking iron use1.jpg

post-3307-12603004032_thumb.jpg

Hi There,

We had a bit of a conversation about pricking irons and hand sewing earlier in the year:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=17122&st=20&p=114076entry114076

It may be useful. Also this tutorial from Bowstock:

http://www.bowstock.co.uk/saddstit0.html

Otherwise, I completely support Celtic, Rawhide and Gary's comments. One of the best things about using a pricking iron is that the intial mark seems to guide the awl in correct way to ensure a hole at the right angle but it also helps you get the awl parallel to the ground and so all you holes on the back of the work come out even and in line with the front. Spending the money on good irons is definitely worth it!

All the best,

Jerry

Up until now I've been using an overstitch wheel and douglas awl for all my stitching. After reading a little more I'm starting to feel the need of some good pricking irons as well. My concern is from what I've read, a pricking iron will make marks too wide for a stitching groove. Is this true?

I'm looking at the Vergez Blanchard irons and my only concern with using them is having them fit in a stitching groove because I use a groove in a lot of my work just because I like them aesthetically. Any input?

-Chris

How wide is the groove that you make?

The teeth make marks on a slant like so ////

and the width from the top of the slant to the bottom is a little less than a 1/16"

If you want, I can stamp some stitches for you to try it out. Just mail me a leather scrap with the grooves already marked and a return envelope. I'll put the stitch marks in the groove and send it back to you.

If you have a particular thread that you use, send a little bit of that as well since the thread when put through the holes adds a bit more width as well. You can then see for yourself if it works with the look you're going for.

Sean

I've seen hermes workers punch the holes all the way through with the vergez blanchard tools. can see it in this video of peter nitz who who was trained by an ex-hermes employee. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=vb.182186731147&type=2

SInce watching the video I've been using my dixon irons in a similiar manner and tbh my stitching has never been better.

people do use it for that purpose, but it's not the intent. I'd sure like to see them punch it through the edges of a briefcase or some other thick leather!

people do use it for that purpose, but it's not the intent. I'd sure like to see them punch it through the edges of a briefcase or some other thick leather!

Here's a video of a Dunhills craftman, doing just that

Here's a video of a Dunhills craftman, doing just that

You can see his awl on the bench at about the 1:10 mark on the video. This video is majorly abridged, but the work he is doing look amazing.

Always loved that video. Would pay good money to see a video of the entire build process!

I was also trained to punch all the way through with pricking irons. Though we have leather on both sides, the overall thickness is not much. Seems like the Dunhill case is the same. I'd guess 6-8 oz total thickness max.

I've seen hermes workers punch the holes all the way through with the vergez blanchard tools. can see it in this video of peter nitz who who was trained by an ex-hermes employee. https://www.facebook...86731147&type=2

SInce watching the video I've been using my dixon irons in a similiar manner and tbh my stitching has never been better.

Does anyone know what that electrical tool is that he is using ?

Johanne

If you would like good quality irons I saw a youtube post with Ian Atkinson the other day where he bought Japan made stuff with good quality but cheap. Free shipping as well:

Ian Atkinson Youtube clip where he talks and show stuff he bought:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckfDgtCRhb4

GoodsJapans youtube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/GoodsJapanJP

GoodsJapans Homepage:

http://www.goodsjapan.jp/

We carry Blanchard pricking irons but I've been to the Kyoshin Elle store in Tokyo where (I think) GoodsJapan site gets their irons.

Kyoshin Elle carries other irons that aren't on the GoodsJapan site that I'd say on par with the CS osborne irons or maybe the Dixons. They make smaller holes than the diamond shaped stitching chisels.

It's a great shop to visit if you live in that part of the world plus that surrounding area is full of other leather-related shops where they sell used Nippy skivers and Juki machines.