nikpalmer

color bleeding onto clothing..solution needed

Hi folks, my first post here so please excuse any newbie-ness on my part.

I am using a 10-12oz Waterhouse Leather Burgundy VegTan Oil Finish Bridle leather for bags etc. It is a beautiful leather that i love working, the color is great, and the finish is exactly what i want. However on areas of the bag that rub against clothing it does tend to bleed color onto said clothing. I have tried using Resolene but it still bleeds somewhat and i also don't like the "gloss" finish it imparts. I have also tried Bag Kote with some success. Is there some sort of color fix that you guys can recommend.

PS..great forum i have enjoyed finding.

kindest

nik

welcome.

i have the same issues with the leather i dye. however, what i do is to buff the leather with some old CLEAN crew type sox. its like a terrycloth on the inside and i use that side, but the other side works too. iac, i found that it seems to keep the transfer to a minimum.

I am just running my mouth here, but I think the problem is "oil finish", which to me means it will bleed 'til the oil is gone.

Call the tanner or seller and ask them if they have any ideas.

Kevin