Steff

Singer 96 80

My wife is a top notch seamstress and years ago she picked up a Singer 96 80 (1936 vintage) mostly because it is cool, all there and she got it for a song. I am trying to get it up and running to save me from hand stitching everything that I don't want to lace. Are any of you guys familiar with this machine and to what extent is it useful in leathercraft? It seems to be quite powerful but at this time I am having trouble with the thread breaking at the needle far to often to trust it with even a small project. I have a rifle case I am working on and not looking forward to stitching nearly 60" of seam by hand.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience with us all.

Steff

I hate to rain on your parade but the Singer 96 was made for sewing clothes for a Tailor,curtains & thin cotton material,it might sew 2 layers of soft chap leather but I think the machine is telling you your pushing it to hard to try & sew a harder thicker leather like the gun case.

Bob

Edited by sewmun

My first industrial sewing machine was a Singer 96k40, which is pretty much identical to your 96k80. I had to convert the feed system to a roller foot and matching feed dog/throat plate, to get it to sew leather. Even then, it maxed out a about 3/16 inch, with only #69 bonded nylon thread. It was okay for sewing a leather vest, but not belts and never holsters or bags/pouches. The feed was inadequate and needle size and stroke were too limited. It is a tailor's machine.

Thanks, guys. And no . you didn't rain on my parade but rather confirmed something I suspected. It's still a cool machine and now I know what not to expect out of it.

Thanks again,

Steff