Sign in to follow this  
Curbstrap2

TAKE A GUESS

IT HAS OLD FASHION SLIP PIN FENDER LENGTH ADJUSTERS. COULD IT BE A BONA ALLEN AS THE SELLER SUGGESTS OR ???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130336734803

Edited by Curbstrap2

IT HAS OLD FASHION SLIP PIN FENDER LENGTH ADJUSTERS. COULD IT BE A BONA ALLEN AS THE SELLER SUGGESTS OR ???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130336734803

Does anyone know when slip pin fender adjustments went out of fashion?

I looked in my "Saddles" book by Russell Beatie in the fenders chapter and could not find anything that resembled that type of single point pin. Sorry.....It looks like a nice saddle though.

Anybody? :helpsmilie:

Not to sound like a smart a--, but I don't think those pin adjusters ever were in fashion. Are you looking at this saddle to buy? From the pics there are some real design issues that make me think it was a bottom ender to start with. It starts with the stitching around the rigging plate perforate it, and ends with the latigo being strung through the slots on the rear jockeys to either carry the tail or some used that tails as a back billet to hang the rear cinch off. The strings laying over the sheepskin is not quite what most us would do and the seat shape is pure factory. I would maybe agree on the age, and probably the guess on general region it was made.

Not to sound like a smart a--, but I don't think those pin adjusters ever were in fashion. Are you looking at this saddle to buy? From the pics there are some real design issues that make me think it was a bottom ender to start with. It starts with the stitching around the rigging plate perforate it, and ends with the latigo being strung through the slots on the rear jockeys to either carry the tail or some used that tails as a back billet to hang the rear cinch off. The strings laying over the sheepskin is not quite what most us would do and the seat shape is pure factory. I would maybe agree on the age, and probably the guess on general region it was made.

lol, Bruce, you're not coming off as a smart ass at all. 'In Fashion' was probably not the correct term to begin with. Maybe popular or common would have been better?

The seller did mention that the latigo hanger had been cut off at some point. I can't imagine why someone would do that, but anyway, yes, I am looking to buy this as a hunting saddle for light use. If there is a wreck or a horse rolls on it, I won't have a heart attack.

Can you explain what you mean by this statement? 'It starts with the stitching around the rigging plate perforate it'. Thanks!

Curbstrap,

I have to suspect that rigging plate is riveted through the rigging piece and hopefully the skirt and plug underneath. That is a big assumption sometimes right there. The stitching all the way around (probably machine sewn) has perforated those layers of leather. With the age of this saddle, strength might be an issue to start with. Factor in a nice line of perforatins from the needle and it could unzip at a really bad time.

Not to debate the whole geometry of riggings, but this looks like a good example of a bad example to me. It looks like that part angling up and forward is what is probably attached to the topside of the bars, right there in front of the pivot point. There is not much or any sort of obvious attachment behind that. Cinch it up and the forces will pull the front of the bar points down. Perforated and pulling the fronts down. Not a good combination for rider safety or caballo comfort.

I am not a packer, but that whole idea of seats like this in any saddle and the whole rigging issue would send me looking elsewhere. That seat looks flat side to side, and then just drops straight down. It would have the comfort of stradding a crate all day. Factor in that ramped horn to cantle seat profile and it is formula for riding in and hiking out. As one of my senior pals said about one similar,"I'd rather ride any breed that starts with "A" than that kind of rig". He was quite colorful and direct.

I'd have to agree with everything Bruce said. That seat looks pretty uncomfortable to me. I think after a day hunting you might WISH your horse would roll on it and break it. LOL Chris

That is good info guys and I thank you for it.

Can you tell me what you look for in a saddle for all day riding comfort for horse and rider?

I'd have to agree with everything Bruce said. That seat looks pretty uncomfortable to me. I think after a day hunting you might WISH your horse would roll on it and break it. LOL Chris

Guys, I took your advice and passed it by. There is always another one. Thanks for your input.