dirtyernie

How to sharpen an edge beveler

How do ya sharpen an edge beveler.....or do ya just buy a new one??

Thanks,

Dirty Ernie

Edited by dirtyernie

How do ya sharpen an edge beveler.....or do ya just buy a new one??

Thanks,

Dirty Ernie

Hi Dirty Ernie!

Your answers can be found on page 95, in Al Stohman's book: "Leathercraft Tools" How to use them, how to sharpen them. This book is very informative on the use and care of all your leatherworking hand tools. I got my copy at Tandy.

Of course, you could just buy a new one, but wouldn't you rather save that money towards the purchas of a new piece of leather? :)

If you take a piece of round leather(lacing, a narrow strip, etc) and rub in rouge, then take your edger and PULL it along the strip, it will serve you well.

I have never filed(sharpened) the inside top of mine as none of my jeweler's files are small enough to do it, but I have kept my edgers sharp for years with an occassional strop.

pete

I just run the back of mine over my strop a few time after a days use. It stays nice and sharp.

Thanks so much for the input... I'm very new here and I have just began to make holsters and saddlebags. I'll attempt to sharpen - I hate to buy a new one whenever it gets dull.

Thanks again!

I should try the leather strip with rouge, but I've been using 800 and 1200 grit sandpaper which works very nicely. A world of difference even on less expensive edgers.

ed

When I was using the slotted style edgers, I sharpened them on the bottom only with either a flat surface or wet-dry wrapped around something the right size. I stropped the inside of the slot with the edge of a piece of stiff cardboard (cereal box to tablet back) with stropping compound rubbed on the edge.

Somebody, I believe it was Badger, said they used a hacksaw frame but instead of a blade they used a tight piece of thick garden string coated in polishing compound to sharpen edge shaves. It works for me.

Somebody, I believe it was Badger, said they used a hacksaw frame but instead of a blade they used a tight piece of thick garden string coated in polishing compound to sharpen edge shaves. It works for me.

That's funny Ray! I do the same thing. Went and bought some cheap small frames for cutting copper pipe, set each one up with different rouge or different size string. Works like a champ!

Bob

I gotta do that, I've been hitting mine with a super-fine polishing wheel on a Dremel, but it's not getting the inside of the tool...

I gotta do that, I've been hitting mine with a super-fine polishing wheel on a Dremel, but it's not getting the inside of the tool...

This is the way Verlane sharpened hers...She would use a 1/2 disk cut from leather and bevel both edges, and attach it to one of the dremel shafts. she would only sharpen the bottom...

I take it one step further and take a fine grit sandpaper and fold it and knock off the burr on the top.