mjzae

What Is This Tool And Rough Value?

Hello,

I was recently at an auction and bought a large collection of leather working tools for resale. I have sold a couple, and a gentleman is interested in one of the tools, but I don't know exactly what it is, and what it does. I am including a picture, and would really appreciate any help.

I was not able to find a makers name on it. Someone mentioned to me that it is a 3 - in - 1. Is this correct? What 3 things does it do? What is the approximate value?

Thanks alot,

Mike Zaetta

mzaetta@yahoo.com

post-13973-128028594169_thumb.jpgpost-13973-128028595864_thumb.jpg

post-13973-128028601029_thumb.jpg

Hello,

I was recently at an auction and bought a large collection of leather working tools for resale. I have sold a couple, and a gentleman is interested in one of the tools, but I don't know exactly what it is, and what it does. I am including a picture, and would really appreciate any help.

I was not able to find a makers name on it. Someone mentioned to me that it is a 3 - in - 1. Is this correct? What 3 things does it do? What is the approximate value?

Thanks alot,

Mike Zaetta

mzaetta@yahoo.com

post-13973-128028594169_thumb.jpgpost-13973-128028595864_thumb.jpg

It is called a 3 in 1. I only found two tools on the one I had. A skiver and a cutting wheel. As far as the value it is what ever the traffic will stand.

I paid 50.00 for the one I had. I bought it at an auction also. I would be interested in buying it if you don't have it sold already.

I hope this was helpful.

Edited by busted

OK, I fought this for years, seeing only two functions of the 3-in-1 and 4 functions of the 5-in-1s. Here's the three functions of the seemingly 2-in-1 machines as told to me separately by two different really old guys. First off the cutting wheel on the end cuts. The skiving balde "Skives" (#2, if you are keeping score). Drummmmmm rooollllll. They both swore function number #3 is... you can set blade level and "split" welting. I have to believe them because as another old timer advised me, "Old guys are generally wise".

That said several companies made these - Landis, Champion, American, I had one from a Minneapolis maker that escapes me right now. The skiving function is probably more popular than the cutting function except for horseshoers cutting pads. Yours is probably the least desirable setup for a leatherworker because the top wheel has the aggressive milling to help push the leather through. This will mark or tear the top grain if used to skive tooling leather. It works for skiving ground seat buildups and pieces that are hidden, but not exposed leather that appearance matters. Usually these sell for about $50 in as-found condition. Cleaned up with a smooth wheel, I have seen them sell anywhere from $125-350 on Ebay. I sold one for $300, but buyers aren't as scarce at $200. The aggressive top wheel I had I took $125 for it. One thing that also detracts on yours is the edge guide for the skiving/splitting feature is broken off.

OK, I fought this for years, seeing only two functions of the 3-in-1 and 4 functions of the 5-in-1s. Here's the three functions of the seemingly 2-in-1 machines as told to me separately by two different really old guys. First off the cutting wheel on the end cuts. The skiving balde "Skives" (#2, if you are keeping score). Drummmmmm rooollllll. They both swore function number #3 is... you can set blade level and "split" welting. I have to believe them because as another old timer advised me, "Old guys are generally wise".

That said several companies made these - Landis, Champion, American, I had one from a Minneapolis maker that escapes me right now. The skiving function is probably more popular than the cutting function except for horseshoers cutting pads. Yours is probably the least desirable setup for a leatherworker because the top wheel has the aggressive milling to help push the leather through. This will mark or tear the top grain if used to skive tooling leather. It works for skiving ground seat buildups and pieces that are hidden, but not exposed leather that appearance matters. Usually these sell for about $50 in as-found condition. Cleaned up with a smooth wheel, I have seen them sell anywhere from $125-350 on Ebay. I sold one for $300, but buyers aren't as scarce at $200. The aggressive top wheel I had I took $125 for it. One thing that also detracts on yours is the edge guide for the skiving/splitting feature is broken off.

Bruce,

Thanks alot for your help. This really, really helps me. I really had no idea what I was looking at.

Thanks again and have a great weekend.

Mike

p.S. When I was at the auction, I bought alot of leather working tools. If you are interested, I can send you the complete list of tools that I have for sale.

I use the cutting wheel on a machine like this to cut sole bends to size for resoling boots and to cut custom sizes of hard rubber for heel tips on high heel shoes.

Bruce - thanks for the insight into the 3rd (and 5th) functions. I've wondered about it for awhile......

Ann