Boriqua

Anyway To Tighten A Line 24 Snap

I have a snap I installed on a holster. It is a Scovill pull the dot snap. It was a test holster so I landed up keeping it but what is troublesome is the snap probably doesnt have 25 actuations and it will just pop open. I buy the DOT brand snaps because they are built so much better than the tandy but this is a bit disconcerting. My holster is built well enough so that even undone you can turn the holster upside down and shake and I am not losing the gun but ... is there anyway to tighten up the action on an already installed Line 24. Sometimes I set snaps and there is a nice definitive SNAP action and other times ... well its a little wimpy.

Alex

I use the Press-n-Snap for all my standard dot line 24 but I don’t have the dies for the pull the dot socket parts. I don’t use the pull dot cap or base. I don’t like all the writing on the pull the dot cap.

I use just the socket parts when I use them with a regular cap and base and I set them with an anvil and setter. I am pretty sure the only difference in the pull dot stuff is the socket bits though. I don’t think that would make a difference on the spring tension? or does it? The snaps arent coming loose from the leather. No, they are firmly set .. its that the snap itself isn’t tenacious enough.

I bit the bullet and bought the correct dies to set pull-the-dot snaps, so all I can say is those buggers are set very nicely and are good and secure when I use them. I know they're pricy, but I'd recommend going ahead and trying them...should give you good, consistently set pull-the-dot snaps that way.

I get my pull-the-dot snaps from paragear.com...I'm sure they're the same type/brand you have.

Im buying them directly from

http://www.scovill.com/

I'm sure they are the same but Scovill has .. I think .. a $50 minimum. I have enough snaps for a quite a while but the price I think is a little better than the paragear site since I buy a combo of snap parts. Guess I better just go ahead and get the dies for my Press n Snap. They aint cheap though :(

Just a thought, I noticed that the spring in the button socket are listed as Normal action, Easy action, and Hard action. Would you know which one you are using?

John S.

I am pretty sure I didnt see those options when I bought mine over a year ago but I just checked my bag and what I have is

Item # 92-XB-18201-1C, PULL-THE-DOT™ SOCKETS

Which according to their site is "normal" I didnt see an easy and I am sure had there been a hard when I ordered I would have ordered those but as it stands the bag I have is rated "normal"

Good looking out though for anyone going to order!

Edited by Boriqua

I bought snaps from Tandy and was unhappy with the snap action and the overall quality. I recently bought some that are called Fasnap that are stainless steel. I haven't used any yet but you sure can tell that they are better quality.

John

Boriqua...I would recommend ordered a few sets from paragear.com and see how you like those. Their pull-the-dot snaps are meant for parachuting gear, so they do take some effort to open. I think you'd be happy with how secure they are.

I also use snaps from Fasnap and am happy with those too, but for extra secure snaps I use the PTD ones from paragear...

I have noticed that when the post of one side isn't rolled over enough it can prevent the full closing of the snap and the proper engagement of the spring. This happens with hand setting on thinner materials predominately, as the post is just too long but can happen with machines too if the pressure is too low or there is too much post in there to squish down. First step is to go back in with the setter and wack it a few more times per side. If this does not work, Replace the snap, but cut a little off the post with a dremel or something before setting it. If this works, order your snaps with a shorter post. You may run into the same problem with the other snaps suggested.

From an old Yankee,

Squeeze the socket part of the snap just a tad with a pair of pliers?

That usually works for me, just say'in...

From an old Yankee,

Squeeze the socket part of the snap just a tad with a pair of pliers?

That usually works for me, just say'in...

That did the trick. I figured I had nothing to lose since I was planning on drilling it out and installing another one. I took the channel locks and gave it the slightest goose. I mean just the tiniest squeeze and wala. Perfect! Thank you everyone!!

Going to order some of the parachute snaps and see if I like them better. Just wish they sold only the socket and stud. I have a few hundred of the other parts.

Alex

Edited by Boriqua