qarawol

Singer 29-4 Bobbin And Other ?'s

Hi folks,

I'm still kinda new to the Singer 29-4 and have been using it now for about a week or two.

Looking at parts on-line, I see there are two sizes of bobbins available... a small and large as well as the appropriate shuttle hook that the bobbin fits in.

questions...

How do I know what I have? I see no bobbin size option in the user manual. Are the two sizes a direct drop in replacement just being sure you have the right size shuttle hook? i.e. no need to change the shuttle carrier. I guess a few more yards of thread can make a difference in a production line.

My needle plate has both large and small rounded ends. About 1/2" wide and 1" wide respectively and I can rotate to either. WHY? What is the propose of two sizes?

My stitch length regulator did not seem to give me the max distance. I notice the bell crank lever had too much play within the ring slot. I removed, welded, grind and polished the little rounded end to virtually no play when fitted into the ring slot. The stitch length is better now and it sews just great. The so-called problem is now that the turning of the ring slide bar (butterfly). It turns too freely. When I had everything apart, I did a thorough degrease, cleaning and lube job. All friction spring wires are in place and nothing is missing, all parts accounted for and back in place and tightened. You can flick one wing with a finger and it will turn half way around. Should this be a concern?

I'm sure more questions will pop up later.

Njoy Life...

Edited by qarawol

The Singer 29-4 only accepts small bobbins and small bobbin cases. The two ends of the throat plate are for thin or thick needles and thread. I never used the small hole when I had 29-4's.

You can secure the butterfly by disassembling the head and its components and installing a locking thumb screw. Order a front locking thumb screw (9/16" of threads) for the new 29-72 patcher from a Singer parts dealer (Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines in Ohio sells them). Measure the pitch and width, then buy a drill and tap (ASA) to match. Punch a center mark 1.5" up from the bottom of the head, dead front center. Then, drill a pilot hole size and cut the threads into the iron head with the proper tap to match the thumb screw. After clearing the slivers and inserting the thumb screw, reassemble the head. When you turn it almost all the way in it will lock the butterfly in position.

post-11118-034448600 1286313109_thumb.jp post-11118-005334100 1286314364_thumb.jp

The large shuttle hook is part # 81952 (or 81993), the small is # 8603 (part # in parts book I have) and mine is stamped # 8654. The cross ref for the 8654 seems to be the 8603 or vise versa.

The large shuttle has the tension screw on top and is to be used with large bobbin part # 82552.

I use the small bobbin # 8604 in my current shuttle.

All part #'s listed above are for use with the Singer 29/29K sewing machine.

Were there some changes made to a particular 29 model and has another sub # to it that uses the larger items? A couple of sites claim these large items can be used on the 29-4... or am I reading mis-information on my searches?

Thanks for the mod fix on the ring Wizcrafts! I don't know if I want to mod my machine just yet. Great mod for a locking mechanism though. I did notice that the upper head revolving bush friction spring was worn so I may start with replacing that to see if a little friction is restored.

Njoy Life...

qarawol;

I promise you that you cannot use a large bobbin in a 29-4 patcher. The entire arm is cast from iron and is not changeable. The bobbin end is set to a small width that only accomodates the small bobbin case and its itsy bitsy bobbin.

There is a curved wire spring the is fastened by a screw, which lives on top of the revolving assembly surrounding the needle bar, on top of the head, behind the top tension disks. You should try to tighten the screw (clockwise) with a screw driver in one hand, while twisting a wide blade screwdriver between the the arch of the spring and the block behind it that raises and lowers, with your other hand. This should add some friction to the butterfly assembly. It is the only method of tightening the revolving action unless you add the thumbscrew to the front. Normally, that spring will secure the butterfly from freely turning on its own.

post-11118-081919100 1286338548_thumb.jp

Looks like who ever had this machine before me did that wire spring trick many times. Here is what my wire spring looks like. The picture shows a good portion of the spring was already under the groove and handled a lot or turning...

100_2609a.jpg

I'll take your word Wizcrafts. Those large bobbins looked tempting though.

I'll get or make a new wire spring and post if that fix helped on the rotating tension. If it doesn't and the free rotating become a problem for me... the lock screw will be the answer.

Going back to the needle plate. I see no size difference in the holes. Maybe from many mis aligned needles the smaller needle hole eventually became larger. Will this be a concern or will the material sewn and the needle be the factor in creating the right thread in material tension to make that proper loop before the hook grabs it?

Njoy Life...

<snip>

Going back to the needle plate. I see no size difference in the holes. Maybe from many mis aligned needles the smaller needle hole eventually became larger. Will this be a concern or will the material sewn and the needle be the factor in creating the right thread in material tension to make that proper loop before the hook grabs it?

Njoy Life...

You can buy a replacement throat plate for your 29-4 patcher. Bob Kovar sells them from Toledo Industrial Sewing machines: 866-362-7397. He also sells needles, bobbins, bobbin cases, feet, threading wires and bobbin winder tires for patchers, as well as various replacement parts and screws.