chancey77

Ok Now I Am Confused! Veg Tan Or Chromium Or Something Else?

For as long as I can remember I have been using Veg Tan or at least what I thought was Veg Tan.I just received the samples direct from the Tannery I found that specializes in Veg Tan only...But It is VERY OILY front and BACK; and it doesn't take water nearly as well. obviously because of the oils used to tan the hide.It seems to take water I guess ok and dye, but the leather I have been so used to feels like velvet on the back and is much lighter in color and takes the water instantly.AM I MISSING SOMETHING???Very confused right now:)Does anybody know what is up with this?What should I be looking for? The one I have been using is on top in the pictures and the other 2 are the samples.Is it just dry, or is it something else entirely?I could see that the quality is MUCH better, in teh new samples, they also seem much stiffer.....HHHHMMMMM??!?!?!?!? :surrender::dunno:

post-28433-0-60119500-1352290260_thumb.j

post-28433-0-12993300-1352290269_thumb.j

Edited by chancey77

Its hard to tell exactly from a photo but what you have been using appears to be normal veg tan the other two look like harness or bridle leather which has a much waxier finish, and is more water resistant than veg tan. You're right, the harness and bridle leather sure doesn't take water like normal veg tan and I'm not aware that anyone routinely tools those kinds of leather. If I understand correctly you're in Europe and if these are sample from a European tannery they may use different names for their products than we do in the states? If those samples are in fact harness or bridle leather they won't take finishes like dye the same way traditional beg tan does.

I may be wrong but judging from the appearance in the photos and from what you say it sure looks like that is harness leather.

Bill

Thanks Bill!!

Ya ok I just got off the phone with the tannery. They said they have several different oil and veg tan types some with much less oil content percentage and told me they do have what I need. I am so happy to buy a skin for 130€ that locally I would be charged 400€ for. Tandy would be 250€. I was just a bit shocked when I took out the samples:)

But they are sending me new samples of what I am looking for.

Very helpful and fast on shipping!

I got the sample in 2 days.

The leather they sent with more oil content took dye very well and tooled wonderfully it just took a lot more water to case than the other stuff I have been using. And the biggest difference was the Kip. But it seems all sorted now!!!

Thanks again Bill!!!

Chancey

Good afternoon Chancey , you could try casing your greasy leather with beer ? The alcohol in the beer will act as a wetting agent & while your tooling you can always drink the rest & as a plus the beer will nourish the leather

Good afternoon Chancey , you could try casing your greasy leather with beer ? The alcohol in the beer will act as a wetting agent & while your tooling you can always drink the rest & as a plus the beer will nourish the leather

:) Sounds like a good way to use old beer:) hahahahaha

The 9400 looks like horse hide.

JRCHolsters posted photos of his holster in which he used horse hide.

Edited by benlilly1