Ed in Tx

Question For The Wallet Makers Out There

My son wants me to make him a bi-fold wallet and I am in need of some advice regarding thread size used for sewing. I have a Cobra 4 which is way overkill for a wallet I know but that is what I use for other things. I predominantly use 277 and 207 for what I sew, I know that is probably to thick for a wallet but it would work. What size thread and needle do most of you use on wallets? I was thinking a 137 but would defer to someone that does more wallets. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Ed in Grapevine Texas

137 would be a good choice.

ferg

Doesn't anyone believe in doing it the way it used to be? By hand?

Just in case you just weren't thinking NVLeatherworx.. maybe some people have arthritis that might prevent them from sewing by hand like they did in the past. I don't understand why people have to post smart ass answers on the forums. I thought these forums were supposed to be a place to ask for help if needed.

Here is a wallet i made few days ago...#138 for the inside pockets and #207 for the rest of the wallet...I used a Cowboy cb4500 for the #207, a "111" clone for the #138 stitching and the leather used is 5oz

I think it all depends on the type of wallet you are making and the look you are after.

Hope it helps...also make sure you post some pics of your wallet too !!!

644665_4836554027071_1403060240_n.jpg

11561_4836553867067_1249445469_n.jpg

3673_4836555387105_1967834417_n.jpg

155610_4836555147099_1801785431_n.jpg

Nice looking wallet. What did you use for the inside of the card slots?

Andrew

I used the lining fabric from Tandy cut in strips same width as the card...maybe a touch wider. For the next wallets i'll be using pig skin.

I use 92 thread and a 21 needle inside and out on my wallets. Sometimes I will use 207 on the outside also.