Sign in to follow this  
CharlieR

Hand stitching a Liner

OK guys--I am going to make my first belt and want to put a liner on it. My question is....when you hand stitch a belt, do you use one long piece of thread--this is a big belt and the thread to go around twice would be pretty long--is there a way to use shorter pieces of thread or just fight the one long piece? It's a newbie question--I have only stitched small pieces before.

I'm inclined to use smaller pieces, say 3 ft. max. The reason for this is just like lacing, repeated pulling of the thread through all the holes will make the thread start to look bad. As you get to the end of the project, the 'end' of a long thread will have gone through every single hole at least once and won't look nearly as good as the thread where you started. I use waxed linen thread, and it's a noticeable difference.

you can use what ever size you want, but for me I agree with Mike he is right on with what he said.

Josh

Just noticed you asked if there was a way....

Yes. Presumably you'll be saddle stitching; the way I do it is to back up a couple or three stitches and start there. If you're careful, you can hide the previous piece of thread under the new so it looks continuous.