Sign in to follow this  
RoyalLeatherDesigns

Campbell And 441 Clones Throat Lenghts

I am posting this topic because I wanted to know why 441 clones like the Cobra and Cowboy offer a 25 inch throat depth. On a Campbell your throat leanght is 9 inches and saddles are made on these machines. The machines of the old century don't even have a throat length of 16 inches like most common 441 clones if not all. Why did manufacturers start increasing the throat depth? Is there really a justification of owning a 441 clone with the throat depth of 25 inches or is it just an overkill machine. If there are any members with such machine what do you use this machine for that you couldn't do with the regular 441 clone. The longest throat depth on the older needle and awl machines is 12 inches and it is a Cyclone machine. These needle and awl machines have been working for decades, I would also like to know what is the oldest 441 clone that is still working today. If theses Campbell machines have been working for so long I wonder why they didn't make a needle and awl clone affordable just like the 441?

It's easier with more space to work with.

When I stitched a set of saddle bags it was nice not having to struggle with them.

The needle and awl machines were harness and saddle stitchers. They were mostly used for edge sewing and don't need the reach. The single needle machines were for other sewing, when you are sewing tarps, wear leathers on saddle blankets, and centered inlays, that extra reach is nice. As far as making the needle and awl machines affordable, the affordable 441 clone machines are made in parts of the world with a different cost of production than the US.