AndersenLeather

Classic English Briefcase

So I made myself a new briefcase. It is by far my biggest project so far and I learned a lot from it.

The main part is made of 3-3,5mm leather and the gusset is made from 1-1,2mm. The quality of the leather is not very good but here in denmark the selection of good leather is limited.

The thread is fil au chinois 432. The pricking iron used is the one from goods japan with 4 mm spacing

m4Pg0n8.jpg

FDxL9VL.jpg

tEiW4Zi.jpg

juB52ZL.jpg

3BVgbrw.jpg

nOcoPiU.jpg

CwKC0Qu.jpg

pa6VZ7d.jpg

That is a fine job. I need to try to make one of those. :cowboy:

NICE JOB !!!

Did you make the pattern yourself ?

Did you dye the leather ?

Real classy lookin .

I'd be proud to carry that around - I think you did a great job. I'll be studying it for ideas when I make mine. Thanks for sharing!

You did a great job ... congratulations!

Hi

You did a great job here. Love this case.

Where in Denmark do you live? If you're in south Denmark, there is a tannery in northern Germany. you could visit them. They have great leather and fair prices. Kobel-leder.de

Excellent job..Looks great. Lots of handstitching. How long did it take you to make?

Thank you all for the kind words

NICE JOB !!!

Did you make the pattern yourself ?

Did you dye the leather ?

Real classy lookin .

Yes I made the pattern myself as well as dying the leather.

Hi
You did a great job here. Love this case.
Where in Denmark do you live? If you're in south Denmark, there is a tannery in northern Germany. you could visit them. They have great leather and fair prices. Kobel-leder.de

I live in copenhagen so that tannery is to far away to stop by. Do you know if you can order from them?

Excellent job..Looks great. Lots of handstitching. How long did it take you to make?

That's a good question. It is really hard to tell. As I made the pattern myself i spend a lot of time dimensioning the bag. Total time i think is about 100 hours. If i should make it again it would maybe take 40-60 hours but I really don't know.

Any chance you'd be willing to share the pattern, please?

Well done!

I live in copenhagen so that tannery is to far away to stop by. Do you know if you can order from them

Yes You can. Write them an Email and ask for a price list and how to Pay your order. I doubt they accept paypal or credit cards.

If you order from them, take the first grade stuff. It costs a bit more, but the leather is really good (in my opinion)

The dye job on the leather looks very nice.

What technique did you use to dye the leather ?

That is a super-nice bag. Thanks for posting pictures of it!

Any chance you'd be willing to share the pattern, please?

Yeah sure. As soon as I have time I will draw up the pattern. Right after I finished it i had a baby so I am pretty busy :)

The dye job on the leather looks very nice.

What technique did you use to dye the leather ?

Thanks.

I use markers from molotow with a 250ml bottle. This is a picture of the marker without the bottle:

hmywNOt.jpg

This is the bottle

http://shop.molotow.com/en/Marker/Molotow-Refills/TRANSFORMER/MOLOTOW-TRANSFORMER-Empty-Bottle-250ml.html?listtype=search&searchparam=transformer

It is very easy to apply the dye this way and the mess is minimal.

I clean the leather with some leather cleaner i have. I think it is just acetone / rubbing alcohol.

Then I apply as much dye as the leather will take. Then I buff and apply dye again.

that is a beautiful bag! thanks for sharing! very interesting and new dyeing method too.

Beautiful Case! Make sure you put some business cards inside, so when folks ask where you got it, you can proudly tell them and give em a card.

That really looks nice. How long did it take. I am working on my first briefcase and its going to be a real challenge.

I am facinated with your dying system, How well do the covers of the refillable markers seal? I have found similar refillable markers at Ultrech Art supplies made by Montana and I think I have to give this a try. They are fairly reasonable price wise at about US $7.00 (On sale) a marker ` 2" wide. Hmmmm Less mess, what looks to be a simpler appication great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Hi Jonasbo,

you´ve made a very nice bag. Where did you get you´re leather, skindhuset? Maybe Laederiet (in Risskov) would also worth a try?! Are U using the ROC colors from Denmark?! I personally found, that they are working very well and they are less expensive then the Fiebing´s ones here in Germany.

Keep up the nice work.

Cheers,

Marcel

Thanks again for the kind comments.

@The Trooper. I got the leather from Laederiet. Even though skindhuset is only a few kilometers from my house they did not have the right weight of leather. Yes I use the ROC colors. I also found them to be very good. Less rubb off compaired to fiebings oil dye and just as good coverage. Also you can't bye the oil dye in denmark so you have to order it from USA which off course makes it very expensive.

I think you did an amazing job, I particularly like how you did the round stitching for the lock

wow, that is nice, congrats