Mike516

Singer 29-4 Opinions

There's a Singer 29-4 for sale by me. The guy wants $750 for it which sound high to me. It looks like it's been amateurishly motorized with a tiny motor and foot controller that's sort of tied to something underneath. But honestly I know very little about these. I think they were used for shoes or boots.

First, is it worth the price to buy if it needs a lot of work? All the picture are of the back side of the thing so either they know nothing about sewing machines or they're hiding something. So I'm figuring it needs work.

Second, is this a good machine for sewing 7/8 oz leather and how hard is it to use?

Third, how hard would it be to convert it back to treadle if most everything is still there.

I really like the look of it, but I have other machines so I don't really need it. This one just looks so cool I was thinking about buying it and learning to use it.

Thanks in advance.

post-27080-0-98208600-1422926401_thumb.j

Edited by Mike516

That's what I figured.

It's a shame, people don't do any research and just pick prices out of the air based on nothing.

And so it'll sit there and gather more dust and never be used again because the guy is so stubborn and afraid he's going to leave a dollar on the table.

Oh well, thanks for confirming my instinct.

You can sew 8 ounces together on a 29-4 patcher. But, you are limited to using #69 bonded thread, top and bottom. It will actually sew a solid 12 ounces, or 3/16 inch and possibly as much as 16 ounces. But, the stitch length gets shorter as you move beyond 8 ounces. A pristine Singer patcher can only sew 5 to the inch at 1/8 inch and about 7 to the inch at 1/4 inch. A machine with a hundred years of wear in the feeding mechanism will be lucky to sew 8 to the inch at 1/8 inch thickness.

Test the machine before you decide. Make an offer if you feel you can use the machine. They are invaluable for sewing patches onto Biker's vests.

Thank you Wiz.

I wanted to talk price with the guy, but I don't think he's interested. I tried to explain the limitations as I understand them with this machine and cost and time involved in servicing it and getting it back to original working condition as a treadle. But he hasn't returned my email. He probably figures I'm trying to rip him off.

I don't know if it's an East Coast thing or what, but people out here want to sell their old rusty sewing machines for ridiculous amounts of money. And I've learned you can't talk to most of them.

He's probably doing me a favor though. The last thing I really need is another sewing machine.

You have these people all over the world - just found this one on Ebay Germany:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Schuster-Nahmaschine-/141561557542?pt=Alte_Berufe&hash=item20f5b9f226

Full of bird shit and wrong treadle and overall in a very poor condition and so forth.

He removed the Buy It Now which was over 500€ (or even 600€ or so) - unbelievable!!!

Edited by Constabulary

Constabulary,

It is an Adler but looking at the shape of it, $500Euros is nuts. If it was in good shape, yeah but that one, I would not give over $100Euros for it and then I am figuring it's a parts machine.

glenn

Looking at the stand, I believe it is a very early Adler stand. Hell, that is probably worth more than the head. It would be fun to rebuild it but if you have to order parts, whew! I have Adler 30-1 and 7 parts and they are not cheap. A genuine 30-1 or 10 foot today from Adler is $145.00US when you can buy a generic Singer foot part #82007 for under $20.00. Adler patchers are nice but not at $500.00Euros for this one.

glenn

The machine is 90Km away from me. I´d pay 50€ or so for it. Sometimes you have luck with these machines (remember my "Pink Wonder" 30-1). But most likely this one is a boat anchor. You are right with the Adler parts the prices are crazy. Need some "cheap" ;) 30-1 parts? Check this out:

http://www.wdn.de/artsearchresult.php?STICHWORT=&KATEGORIE=6140&HERSTELLER=&ARTIKELZAHL=50&LAGERWARE=0&ANSICHT=LISTE&SORTORDER=BENENNUNG&sortaufab=desc

Totally crazy!!!!

So when you need parts for restoring a 30-1 patcher you are seriously screwed!

I was always hunting for a short arm Adler 30-15 but never found one so I bought the 29K71. Later on I restored the pink 30-1 and I honestly think that the the Adler Class 30 is not better than the later the Singer 29K models. Technically I think the later models of the 29K (71, 73, 73 and some in the 60´s subclass) are even better than any 30-1. I personally think ADLER is a bit of a myth because of "Made in Germany" "German engineering" bla blah and so forth... They are for sure nice machines but since I have worked with both I cannot say that the Adler's are really better. They are for sure better that the old 29K1, 29K4 and so forth but not better that the later 29K models. And when it comes to the availability of parts - guess whos ahead?

Just my opinion! ;)