After looking through this site I realize that my question is probably really simple. The work displayed by the members here is amazing. Some of the tooling and carving are jaw dropping.

I have a couple leather wrap around pistol cases that I would like to add a name to. They are going to be given as gifts and I would like to use some sort of stencil and dye to add the names. I have access to an airbrush setup. Can I use a vinyl stencil to mask the area and then use an airbrush or brush to apply a dye? How do I control the dye so it doesn't bleed past the stencil. Is there a more simple way? Thanks for your time.

Hmmm... yeah, I really can't tell, either. It's too bad you don't have similar piece you can test on. But as for the stenciling...

If you can get the stencil to stick to the leather, spray the color on at a right angle to the leather surface in multiple, very light coats, and give it a little time to dry between coats, you should not have problems with color bleeding under the mask. Since it does apparently have a finish, you might have problems getting dye to absorb into the leather, so an acrylic or createx paints would be your best bet.

Here's my disclaimer :innocent: : Don't try it without testing it first, even if you don't have something identical to test on. You will only get one shot to get it right, and my advice is based on a few assumptions that may or may not be true. Since I don't know what kind of finish it has, I'm not sure what will stick to the piece, or how different coloring agents might otherwise interact with it.

Kate

Acrylic paints are available in craft stores, and also places like Walmart. For spraying from an air brush, you will also need to get some acrylic thinner, to dilute the paint for spraying out of an air brush.

Kate