kwelna

Does Leather Have A Grain?

Maybe a strange question, but does leather have a grain? That is to say can I expect it to bend in one direstion better than another? Specifically when wet molding. So I guesss the question is do the cells that make up skin (Leather) tend to line up in one direction?

Just askin'

I don't know if there's actually a grain like you're referring to, but I know that a lot of times my pieces seem to want to fold a certain direction (usually the wrong direction). So, my answer is yes. But, with a little coercion, you can get it to fold whatever way you want. I think wet molding would actually eliminate many of the signs of it though.

Yes. it does have a grain. Remember that it was once "bending" around an animal.

Absolutely has a grain - every time I edge something I find that the leather will cut better in one direction that the other - strange, but true :0/

Sylvia hit it. Leather tends to behave like it did on the living beast. The neck and shoulders move up and down a lot while grazing. It folds easier front to back when leather. That is something I consider for planners and albums. The top of the back and the sides don't move as much and tend to be fairly firm. The hip area moves very little and is the firmest except the back edge which moved a bit as the animal walked. The belly moved with breathing and is more moldable than higher on the side. The pockets in the flanks and armpits (legpits?) moved a lot and are looser fibered and flexible.

To carry it further, I had the chance to listen to one old guy. He said that for the really good stuff they would cut long straps off a right side. The left side of the cow expanded and contracted some with the filling of the rumen and they figured the fibers were a bit more flexible.

He said that for the really good stuff they would cut long straps off a right side. The left side of the cow expanded and contracted some with the filling of the rumen and they figured the fibers were a bit more flexible.

Cool stuff. I guess I got lucky with the side I have sitting there since it's from the right side of the cow.

I don't know that right side vs left is a huge deal, but it was cool to hear him say that. I hadn't heard it before, and "old men are generally wise".

Bruce:

Now that was interesting bit of info you gained from the old timer! It makes a lot of sense. I read somewhere that if making mocs to cut the leather perpendicular to the spine to keep it from twisting. I notice that some of the guitar straps I do have a distinct curve and I cut them parallel to the spine. This is usually fine because the curve will follow the body as it goes over the shoulder... but I wonder now if the left side will curve in the other direction.

Way cool answers, thank you.

I also noticed that when edging my leather projects that in some cases the leather tends to buch up, where in other places on the same piece of leather it cuts smoothly. That is what precipitated my question. Hmmm food for thought as i start trying to wet mold magazine pouches. That beign the case, then it may prove to be advantageous(sp?) to rotate each leather piece before gluing (Liners on holsters - etc.) to produce a sturdier piece, kinda like plywood.......

Thank you for are answers and insight

Bruce:

Now that was interesting bit of info you gained from the old timer! It makes a lot of sense. I read somewhere that if making mocs to cut the leather perpendicular to the spine to keep it from twisting. I notice that some of the guitar straps I do have a distinct curve and I cut them parallel to the spine. This is usually fine because the curve will follow the body as it goes over the shoulder... but I wonder now if the left side will curve in the other direction.

Interesting observation.

I to have experienced this curve. I had assumed it was because of my actions with the strap cutter. ie the user placed sideways pressure whilst cutting to keep the leather hard up to the straight edge of the cutter. And inadvertantly this pressure increased towards the middle of the cut more than either end as the operator was inclined or able to use more pressure? This curve becomes more exagerated with every cut.

Sometimes I have had to use a straight edge to mark a line and then use a head knife to cut of a strip to re straighten the edge. I cut a 'nominal' 3/8" strip to use for looping so as to reduce waste!

I suppose as the different "stretchability" of a hide ( in line with the spine as against across the spine) could be thought of as some sort of grain character and may affect moulding to a slight degree?

I havn't realy done enough moulding to make further comment, so I welcome a more expert view!

Regards.

Interesting observation.

I to have experienced this curve. I had assumed it was because of my actions with the strap cutter. ie the user placed sideways pressure whilst cutting to keep the leather hard up to the straight edge of the cutter.

Regards.

At first I thought it was something that I was doing too. The first strap was cut with a straight edge and utility knife and it curved. Subsequent cuts have been with the strap cutter and a draw gauge. Then I thought it might be because of tooling but it doesn't seem to matter whether or not it is tooled heavily.

The only thing I mould is guitar pick pouches....and the leather I use is the off cuts and fringe cuts that would not be nice for a strap. They are often very stretchy and flexible. I imagine that is the reason some exclusively buy the bellies but truthfully I wouldn't know much about that.