shooter55

Has Anyone Used A Blast Cabinet For A "dye Booth"?

Looking at Harbor Freight blast cabinet to use as a dyeing booth for projects when using my air brush. Anyone tried this? It has a dust collection hole that a shop vac could filter the particles with.

Is it feasible? Any body have experience in that?

not tried it but sounds like a good idea.

Are the particles and overspray when using the airbrush combustible in any way?

Water based dye you might get away with... but alcohol dyes and oil dyes can be dangerous! Keep in mind you have a contained chamber filling up with flammable vapor (fuel), with a lamp (ignition source) and a suction system that is not using an enclosed motor (another ignition source).

I have a dust collector which is connected to my laser and vented to the outside world.

During the winter or rain day when I could not spray lacquer, I basically take a large box in which I cut

a hole and insert the nozzle into so that any overspray goes out. Works in a pinch.

I've debated building a large wooden box approximately 2'd x 2'h x 3'w, with a 24" opening on the front and one end (left or right), then sliding a 24" box fan in one end and stacking a few 1" thick AC filters in front of it. The fan would pull the air through the filters, catching most of the overspray. Cut a circular opening in the top and mount a cheap aluminum shop light to the top, and it should make a decent spray booth. May even be a good spot to apply contact cement, though I'm not sure how well it'd filter out the smells. I don't really have a good spot to place something like this, or I'd have built it long ago.

I agree that to use something sealed like that, may be an issue. (as noted in a previous response). I contemplated what particle said above, but figured I'd have too much money wrapped up in it. I opened Craigslist and searched for "paint booth". Guess what came up about 70 miles from me. I now have an airbrush spray booth by Passche. The HSSB-22-16 Hobby which is made for what I need. Retail for $359.....paid $100. Used it last evening. Works great!!!!

Thanks for the information and opinions. That's why I ask dumb questions here. Almost always get intelligent answers. (notice I said almost always....lol)

Shooter

We've used this portable unit that vents out a window with great success. If you need a larger area you can join two of them for about the same area as the Paasche for just a little more than you paid for your great find!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BMUH8L6/sr=8-3/qid=1375587893/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1375587893&seller=&sr=8-3

41D-O-0uJtL._SX450_.jpg

I'd be very careful about exhausting paint or dye fumes (other than latex or water based stuff) through a fan where the motor is included in the fume path. The right concentration of inflammable fumes and a spark or hot surface and POOF. A filter will only take out droplets, not gases.

So when building your own setup, or modifying something else to do the job, think about safety first. Keep the motor and any wiring outside the fume path.

Tom

Good point Tom! I was thinking acrylics and not volatiles. Looking at the Paasche, it appears to be a similar setup (exhaust past the fans).

Edited by dhawktx