Sign in to follow this  
Clay

a few pictures of my work

OK but only because you asked nicely! Here are a few pictures of my work, some of you that belong to the other lists have probably already seen them. These are from the last two years. Any thing older than that shows that I was just beginning.

jse_8x10_notebook_carved.jpgjse_braid_belt_001.jpgpistol_case_001.jpgjse_journal_cover.jpg

jse_crown.jpgjse_Clay008.jpgjse_DSCF0227.jpg

post-255-1176072968_thumb.jpg

post-255-1176072987_thumb.jpg

post-255-1176073006_thumb.jpg

post-255-1176073026_thumb.jpg

post-255-1176073083_thumb.jpg

post-255-1176073219_thumb.jpg

post-255-1176073947_thumb.jpg

I like it all Clay.. I really like the small saddle bag, what type of lacing did you do up at the top?

Thank you for sharing such wonderful work. Sure is nice to see such great work as an example of something to strive toward.

Regis

very nice!

i am very slowly gathering some tools for sheridan carving.

Wonderful work Clay,

I really loved the notebooks .... very very nice.

Post some more of your work.

Dave Theobald

Very beautiful! :thumbsup:

*note to myself, keep practicing A LOT :whistle:

The rounders ... you carved each one, right? They

look really consistent.

Very nice stuff.

Charley,

Yep, I carved each one, they are award plaques about 12 inches across. took about six hours per plaque.

Clay M.

I like it all Clay.. I really like the small saddle bag, what type of lacing did you do up at the top?

Matthew,

It is a double loop lacing like for a check book or wallet. I like to use the Kangaroo lace that Tandy used to sell.

Clay M.

Clay- what kind of leather did you use on the pieces(especially the notebook cover) and did you oil and antique? If so did you use sheridan brown or mahogany??

I have tried all kinds of leather except Seigals and non of them seem to get that rich classic color when I oil them. As a result I use my Bick+Br. tan and then antique.

pea-aire'

Clay- what kind of leather did you use on the pieces(especially the notebook cover) and did you oil and antique? If so did you use sheridan brown or mahogany??

I have tried all kinds of leather except Seigals and non of them seem to get that rich classic color when I oil them. As a result I use my Bick+Br. tan and then antique.

pea-aire'

Pete,

I used either Herman Oak or Wicket and Craig and yes I did oil and use the antique. I mostly use the Sheridan Brown but I some times use the mahogany mixed with some brown.

Pete,

I used either Herman Oak or Wicket and Craig and yes I did oil and use the antique. I mostly use the Sheridan Brown but I some times use the mahogany mixed with some brown.

Clay,

a related question. I hear lot of carvers say to use your favorite oil. What did you use on yours?

Dave Theobald

Clay,

On your small bag, what did you use to get that beautiful light finish? What did you darken your carving with?

Dave Theobald

Clay,

a related question. I hear lot of carvers say to use your favorite oil. What did you use on yours?

Dave Theobald

David

I will answer both of your questions in one post....

I use the Tandy prime neatsfoot oil item number 2260-34. I tried it when I first started working with leather, liked it, and have never used any thing else. There are probably better products out there but I have no reason to try them.

On the small bag, I think that you are refering to the triangle shaped one?, It is made with W&C carving and tooling leather which is very light to start with. I did not put any oil on it and used a coat of NeatLac then applied the sheridan brown antique paste. Personaly I was hoping for a little darker finish. The only reason I did not use any oil on it was because I got in a hurry and forgot it.

Clay M.

Clay,

Dave Theobald

David

Your question reminded me of a funny story..

Aparrently there was a saddlemaker that had a "secret" saddle oil formula that he would sell to other saddle makers at a high price. This saddle maker passed away and the other saddlemakers contacted his wife to see if she would sell them the "secret" formula. She had no knowldege of a formula but told the guys that they were welcome to come pick up the cases of vegetable oil her husband kept in the garage. :P

David

I will answer both of your questions in one post....

I use the Tandy prime neatsfoot oil item number 2260-34. I tried it when I first started working with leather, liked it, and have never used any thing else. There are probably better products out there but I have no reason to try them.

On the small bag, I think that you are refering to the triangle shaped one?, It is made with W&C carving and tooling leather which is very light to start with. I did not put any oil on it and used a coat of NeatLac then applied the sheridan brown antique paste. Personaly I was hoping for a little darker finish. The only reason I did not use any oil on it was because I got in a hurry and forgot it.

Clay M.

Clay, I was referring to the small bag that appears as the middle photo on the bottom row of pictures

Dave

post_255_1176073006_thumb.jpg

post-327-1176421794_thumb.jpg

Edited by David

Wow, gorgeous work, Clay, as always. Your carving is so clean and smooth, and your deco cuts really flow well.

Kate

Clay, I was referring to the small bag that appears as the middle photo on the bottom row of pictures

Dave

David,

Sorry bout that. The pommel bag is oiled with neats foot, coated with neatlac, and antiqued with sheridan brown. This is pretty much how I color and finish everything that I make. But I did something different with these for a final finish, and if you look closely you can see the streaks in the bottom of the bag. I did a coat of resolene. I used to much and I could not get the streaks out. I have not used the resolen sence.

Clay M.

David,

Sorry bout that. The pommel bag is oiled with neats foot, coated with neatlac, and antiqued with sheridan brown. This is pretty much how I color and finish everything that I make. But I did something different with these for a final finish, and if you look closely you can see the streaks in the bottom of the bag. I did a coat of resolene. I used to much and I could not get the streaks out. I have not used the resolen sence.

Clay M.

Clay,

This is very timely for me, I have a client who wants this exact type of finish on a motorcycle seat. Thanks so much for sharing your dyeing process.

Dave