Sign in to follow this  
rawhide1

use for a core when you build rommel or roping reins

Hello I hope everyone is doing fine. I was wondering what ya'll use for a core when you build rommel or roping reins. I'm fixing to braid a pair of roping reins for the wife and i'm going to use a piece of round 3/16" leather but it was kind of pricey. So I was wondering what else a fella could use that would be as good but cheaper for next the pair I do.THANKS Mike

depending on the finished size , i have used Nylon Rope.

Edited by Luke Hatley

You will find most of the ropes and cords are soft and spongey, kind of hard to do a nice tight braid around plus they stretch. The leather belting though you find pricey makes the best core you will find. If you are braiding nice reins the cost of the core should not be a concern considering what your string would be worth when you figure out what it cost you to make. Greg

Greg is right PLUS the cord and rope will wick moisture INTO the braid and will take longer to dry out but you can even treat the leather core before braiding to make it repel moisture. When the braiding goes over the core it will make the treatment last that much longer so it is a win win situation!

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

Long time we no have no nice time! Do ya, do ya, do ya think about that?
Bob Marley - Nice time

How does one get that leather core round, besides useing an Edger

:dunno:

Pull it through a rein rounder to round it up or get a hold of your local shoe findings supply and ask for sewing machine belting. It's not cheap to buy but it is time consuming to make your own as well so it is a toss-up as to which way is actually cheaper. If you do not have a shoe findings supplier in your area try Panhandle Leather in Amarillo Tx. They stock it. Greg

I want to thank everyone for their repley. It loks like I will stay with the round leather belting for my cores it seems to be the best. I bought my belting thru Oregon Leather (541)343-2563. Their 3/16" is $1.45 a foot or you can buy 100' for $125.00 the 1/4" is $1.85 a foot or $164.00 for a 100' and the 5/16" is 2.95 a foot or $260.00 for a 100'. I don't know if it's cheaper anywhere else or not. But if anyone knows of it cheaper let me know. Thanks Mike

On the consumer end ,well lets just say Im horseback hmmm ALOT,hehe .

I hate rope cores for the reasons already given

I have used round leather cores and they work well, I also braid alot of cores and ocasionally use hard twisted cotton cord, it doesn't stretch and can be taped and sealed and doesn't collapse when pounded or rounded, but should be used in dry country, it is really hitched rather than twisted that is the only cord I will use anymore and dont use it alot but some people like the feel so I will use it on request. The core of the peice has quite abit to do with what kind of life it will end up with.

KAW first of all you do great work and your examples you posted really gives a feela something to work towards. Well with the mushy stuff out of the way. I was wondering when you braid a core do you use leather or rawhide and is there a formula (big word for me) you use for string width&thickness to get your core dia. Or is it just trial and error. Thanks Mike

I am sure there is some formula out there that works, but I just experimented till it came out the way I wanted it. I pound them, then run them through a rounder or a board with different size holes in it to get the right diameter, as far as rawhide or leather it depends on what kind of feel or (life) I'm after,I use both, this is how I do it, hope it helps. Thanks for your comments on my work.

Hey guys--someone mentioned a rein rounder--where can these be bought and how much? Anybody here in texas carry scuh a thing?

Greg I just bought one from Smuckers Harness Shop for $95.00. They took a old one they had and made a some copies out of stainless steel. They said a guy would have to do a little work on them as they didn't come out perfect. But that it shouldn't take to much to make it work good. It has 15 holes but I dont remember the sizes. And I figured heck whats a fella got to loose except for $95.00 all the ones i've seen on ebay go for at least a couple hundred bucks. I should have mine by the end of the week. You can go to their website at smuckersharness.com and see the one they have for sale. Their phone# is1-717-445-5956 call them with ?'s their a nice group of people. Hope this helps when I get mine i'll post how it is. Mike

Sorry Greg I should of put CharlieR names in the post my mistake!!!!!!!!Mike

Hi my name is Bob from Australia I'm new to this site. I do a lot of braiding (we call it plaiting down here). When it comes too rounding leather and you haven't got a rounder go to a tool shop and get a copper pipe flaring tool around $15:00. The tool has 6-8 holes of different sizes. Ideal for this type of job. Just put it in a vice and wet your leather and pull it back and forth. When I get some time I will upload some photo's.

Happy Plaiting

Welcome to the site Bob can't wait to see some of your work.Mike

Welcome to the forum Bob, and thanks for the tip. I just happen to have one of those tools out in the garage and I'm going to try it tomorrow.

Ken