Tallbald

What Weight Veg Tanned For A Messenger Bag? Finish?

To date all I've created is old school style holsters from 9/10 ounce veg tanned hides. Vinegaroon for black, oil for natural. Hand saddle stitching only up to now, and with medical issues I've been limited in the size of projects. Fast forward to now. I'm planning to buy a Cowboy CB3200 quite soon, and my adult daughter has already put in a request for a messenger bag style purse.

She showed me a style I believe it would make a good first time creation for me. All I have is 9/10 ounce cowhide veg tanned. I suspect that for a little more flexibility I will need to step down in thickness. Would appreciate advice.

Also as to finish. All I really know is neatsfoot oil with a wax topcoat. I'd think I should consider a different finish for what wil essestially be a ladies purse. Again, advice appreciated. Thanks all, Don

Judging by what I have seen in the Tandy pre-cut kits, theirs look to be, and this is purely a guess, somewhere in the 5 ounce range.

In a related note I have a question also. Some messenger/courier bags have the straps mounted to the gussets like a normal purse, and some have the straps mounted to the back side of the bag. I can understand the straps being mounted to the back of the bag if the gussets are fairly narrow, but is this pretty much an esthetic/personal preference, or is there an advantage to one location over the other?

Depending on the style, 5-7 oz is a good weight. I dye most of my projects and finish with Tan Kote.....as for the strap attatchments, I believe this would be preference as much as style.....

In a related note I have a question also. Some messenger/courier bags have the straps mounted to the gussets like a normal purse, and some have the straps mounted to the back side of the bag. I can understand the straps being mounted to the back of the bag if the gussets are fairly narrow, but is this pretty much an esthetic/personal preference, or is there an advantage to one location over the other?

I'm not an experienced bag maker (yet), but I think it's a personal preference for the wearer: slingbag style versus handbag style. I like the straps attached on the side instead of the gusset (especially wearing cross-shoulder, sling style) for a few reasons: The bag lays against my side properly and comfortably, the shoulder strap doesn't interfere with the opening, and it doesn't look (as much) like a purse.

I have a nylon messenger that have had for 15 years and use pretty much continously.

The strap is on the gusset but has a metal connector on the bag and a swivel clip on the strap.

The swivel clip makes all the difference in a hard used bag.

Hi I don't know how stiff you want the bag to be but I just did one with 4-5oz. leatherand its pretty stiff, gonna take a while to break in nicely. I would post a pic but I'm new and haven't figured out how to post pic yet' hope this helps you some.

Personally I like to use around the 10oz for bags as this give a solid feel plus the bags hold their shape better.

If you use more than about 6 oz, simplify the pattern. A complex pattern double-gusset lined bag with several pockets out of 5-6 oz may way 5 lbs or more, empty. This is enough for some people to complain about how heavy it is. I remember reading reviews about Saddleback bags where weight was brought up in a critical way.