BUBBA

How to hand sew hair on cowhide

I just got done hand sewing hair on cowhide spur straps for my daughter. I was sewing the cowhide onto a piece 3-4oz. leather. The problem I had was the small waxed thread was splitting the hair inbetween the holes. Once I got done they really kinda looked like crap. I hope someone can understand what i mean by my explanation and can help me to find a way to fix this. thanks

If you mean the thread is holding the hair down in an uneven manner, then you just need to take a dull needle and pull all the hair out from underneath the thread. And you should do it quickly before the hair wants to stay distorted. I've sewn sheep, cow and rabbit and they all require you to pull the hair out from under the thread or it looks bad. Whether hand sewn or machine sewn.

I use a gum eraser...that works well. However sometimes you still have to use the dull needle.

I use a gum eraser...that works well. However sometimes you still have to use the dull needle.

Thanks for your replies, but surely there is a way that you can do this without having to pull the hair from every thread. I'm not saying you guys are wrong, but is this something that everybody does and what is a gum eraser?

Gum erasers are those brownish tan erasers. I use one of those blocks made for cleaning off sanding belts. That is crepe I think, and works well too. Just kind of pulls the hair from under the stitches. Another tool that works OK is the bent stylus end of a modeling tool. Just kind of run it so the bent end is next to the stitchline and run it along the stitches under the hair kind of lifting as you go. You may still have to pick some hairs with whatever you do for the best effect. Not everybody does this, it just depends on how finished you want to get. They sure sell a lot of production overlaid belts and purses with hair buried under the stitches.

Hi I have been sewing hair on cowhide for about 1 yr and I haven't found anything that works much better than the needle used to pull the hair out from under the stitches but I also had a question for you if you dont mind. Tandy just changed everything up on me and I can't figure out what size thread ive been using on my cowhide, I ordered two different sizes they offered and both were wrong, one was even so "waxy" it left a very large wax build up on the cowhide. Thanx very much

Hi I have been sewing hair on cowhide for about 1 yr and I haven't found anything that works much better than the needle used to pull the hair out from under the stitches but I also had a question for you if you dont mind. Tandy just changed everything up on me and I can't figure out what size thread ive been using on my cowhide, I ordered two different sizes they offered and both were wrong, one was even so "waxy" it left a very large wax build up on the cowhide. Thanx very much

I will check tomorrow what size thread that it is that I'm using. I'll let you know