z0Z

Help before I buy this protable

Hi,

I was seriously thinking of getting a semi industrial sewing machine. Will the Tuff Sew be what I need I don't wanna make a bad mistake. If so should I get the 7" gate or 9".

Thanks again

I do not know the machine you are refering to, but in my opinion the is no such thing as a semi industrial sewing machine, it either is or it is not, if someone is selling it as semi industrial I would be very warey( spelling?) of it.

china

As with all things, it's going to ultimately depend on the use you intend.

The little tuffsews will probably handle some light chap work, maybe purses/bags/wallets(thin leather). It's not going to handle really thick stuff, like saddles, holsters, etc.

Be very careful with the adds you see on Ebay (if that's where you saw it). Perhaps some of our machine gurus can chime in here with reasonable expectations of the tuffsew products.

While looking for a sewing machine, the absolute best place to start is here. Click on the ad links and browse around their sites, that will give you a better idea of how a leather sewing machine is set up.

Edited by TwinOaks

Hello all:

If you plan to sew lightweight materials on an infrequent basis, then the Tuffsew and machines like it can work OK. The largest thread these machines can sew with is about a 138. The bobbins are small in these machines, about the size of a nickel. The presser foot lift is about 1/4".

I had a Sailrite machine (like Tuffsew) for awhile when I first got started in the business. It was a good machine for lightweight materials like chaps and so forth, but I would not say it was an industrial machine by any stetch of the imagination.

Hope this is of some help to you. If you have any additional questions about machines, please let me know.

Kindest Regards,

Ryan O. Neel

Neel's Saddlery and Harness

Cowboy Sewing Machines

1-866-507-8926

Hello, it all started with the Thompson Mini Walker machine. It was a portable walking foot machine. The Tuff Sew, Sailrite, as Ryan mentioned, the Mini Brute, and others do the same thing. I personally feel that if you are going to spend 500 bucks or so, and you're serious about the leather trade, then it's time to jump. There are many dealers and distributors that carry the machine that you need. Contact myself, or any of the others on this forum to further assist you. Thanks, Steve