Sign in to follow this  
AtkinsHorses

Rolled Leather

I'm very curious to find out how you roll leather, I think its beautiful and would love how to do it myself, if someone could tell me step by step or have a video or pictures of how to do it, it would be greatly appreciated forever more.

Like this http://www.flushandpoint.com/products/0000000426_th.jpg It looks like you just simply fold the leather in half, stitch it as close to the roll as possible then cut off and round the edges?

Thank you,

Samantha

Al Stohlman's book making leatherr cases vol 2 has that in it for making handles. they have a "filler" piece they get wrapped around and he shows pics of a simple metal tool to run it through to make it round.

Edited by murse

You can also use a rein rounder if you dont want to have a sewn edge. Just run your edger over all four corners and pull it through the rein rounder. Since a rein rounder typically has a top half that can be lifted up, you wouldnt have to worry about fitting the flat sections through, just lift the rein rounder up, put the "round" section in, pull it through the rounder, then lift the top half of the rounder back up and remove your collar. Typically, you will have to pull it through 2 or 3 sized holes to get it down to your target diameter and to make it as round as possible. You may have to experiment with edger size and rounder holes to get the right combination to get to your target diameter.

If you dont have a rein rounder, Weavers has a couple that they sell, but they arent the nice cast iron ones like the old rounders. Good luck finding the old rounders like an Osborne. I have been looking for almost a year now and I cant find one that attaches to a bench top and doesnt require a vice. If someone has one for sale, let me know lol.

Hope this helps,

CW

I've made several purse/bag handles and I've found that folding the leather around a core and handstitching works best for me. If I need a round handle I use a piece of braided rope (or cord depending on the size of handle needed). I've used a leather core before but more for a squared or rectangular look. Cut big and trim later. I usually cut the excess about 1/16" from my stitch, sand with a dremel, slick and edge kote. Hope it helps. Mark