25b

Sailrite Part Failed Due To Manufacturer Defect

So I have a Sailrite LSZ-1 and I went to sew on a project this morning...and I noticed the material wasn't getting moved consistently. So I increased the stitch length and that didn't help. Then I removed my work and found the feed dog was loose.

I took off the needle plate and found the feed dog had broken right at the edge between the actual feed dog part and the part of it where it is screwed onto the chassis.

And of course I tried to call today to find out what Sailrite intends to do to make this right and they're closed on weekends. Awesome.

This is clearly a manufacturing defect. I've probably sewed less than ten hours total on this machine since I got it new. I've oiled it as I should've and have pretty much babied it. I'm pretty upset that this happened because I have customers waiting for their items and I cannot finish them until this is fixed.

I have a much larger machine (NOT a Sailrite) I'm trying to rig to finish these projects, but since it's set up to use 207 thread it's not going to work well with size 69 thread...and I don't have 207 thread in the right color or I'd just use that. I may just have to sew the items with black 207 thread.

Anyway, I am very disappointed right now and just wanted to let others know if you have an LSZ-1, you might want to order a few feed dogs and keep them as spares in case yours shear off due to bad metallurgy like mine did.

Matt at Sailrite is very good at answering posts on his Sailrite forum. So sorry you had a broken part, I know that frustration. I have different machines now, but have owned a machine of the same style (different badge) and had issues with it too. I know how it is when you have a machine down and Customers waiting. Hope it works out for you quickly and that you are at least able to get a part locally for a fair price. Come Monday, I'd call any sewing machine repair shops in your area to see if they can provide the part that you seek. Certainly, call Sailrite too, hopefully they can rush the part out to you at no charge. Good luck!

Edited by suzelle