SmilinJim

A work in progress

We got a couple of these wooden stools from a craft store a couple of years ago. My wife tole painted some and gave away for presents. This one was left so I decided to do a practice piece. I'll wrap the leather top around the bottom and tack. I thought about doing the part of the stool in glossy black the way a lot of oriental furniture is done. Wife said do it in red and do a black wash over to age it. Daughter said do it in stain similar to leather. So, what do you all think. It it turns out okay it may also end up as a present.

Any comments on the piece is welcomed. Good, bad or ugly.

Jim

IM002682.JPG

IM002681.JPG

post-41-1206375145_thumb.jpg

post-41-1206375158_thumb.jpg

We got a couple of these wooden stools from a craft store a couple of years ago. My wife tole painted some and gave away for presents. This one was left so I decided to do a practice piece. I'll wrap the leather top around the bottom and tack. I thought about doing the part of the stool in glossy black the way a lot of oriental furniture is done. Wife said do it in red and do a black wash over to age it. Daughter said do it in stain similar to leather. So, what do you all think. It it turns out okay it may also end up as a present.

Any comments on the piece is welcomed. Good, bad or ugly.

Jim

Wonderful design. I would do black then paint a few flowers in red like the leather. Of course you may need to get more stools and try it each way to keep peace in the family. In the end they would all look great.

David Genadek

I agree with David because he knows design and because it is keeping the oriental motif of the artwork and stool leg.

Edited by Regis

Jeez, that's pretty.....

I'm not sure about the black all over...maybe some painted bamboo across in the background, then wax balm, and let it age all by itself.

I agree with rdb. This is pretty. I love the design. Well, this is what I would do but this is just me. Leave the design as is and Block Out the girls face. Saddle Tan the rest enough to give the reddish color. When applied right and enough Saddle Tan gives a great red color. The Tandy Antique one I mean. Check out my profile or my website for some examples.

Hi Jim,

I think you were referring to the stool in your question. I think the black lacquer look for the stool would be good and match the oriental flavor of the leather tooling.

Matching the leather coloration would be appropriate if the carving were something more traditional like a sheridan style design.

Brent

I love the spiralling effect of the black hair strand and the mirroring spiral from the flowers I would be tempted to follow that spiral with the flower to complete a circle around the edge of the stool adding a bit of foliage, I agree masking the face and the red/brown with natural wax finish would make her look awesome. my 2p's worth.