russellcook

Making A Glove Pattern

Hi all,

I'm hoping to make a pair of gloves for myself. During my searches on the web, I found this tutorial:

http://www.renaissancetailor.com/demos_gloves.htm

Using it, I have put together the pattern in the picture attached.

Glove Pattern.htm

My plan would be to use a saddle stitch to stitch it up.

I was hoping to ask a few question from everyone here.

1) I used the needle (3 bevels leading to a not-very-sharp tip), the diamond shaped awl and 0.7mm linen thread in the second picture when I made turnshoes. Would they be usable for gloves?

Leather Tools.htm

2) The tutorial doesn't talk about adding seam allowances to the pattern. Is this a problem?

3) How big should seam allowances? 3mm? For my turnshoes I used 5mm seam allowances, that'd surely be too big for gloves.

Any other comments also welcome :-)

Russell, . . . an old tried and true pattern obtaining method: go to your local Goodwill or Salvation Army store, . . . buy a product that is very similar to what you want, . . . take it home, . . . disassemble it.

Voila, . . . you have the best pattern you could possibly get for that project. It also allows you to try it on, . . . and if it is too long here, . . . cut it down, . . . too tight there, . . . add a little.

It is also the lazy man's way of doing it, . . . but it pays good dividends.

May God bless,

Dwight

Cheers, Dwight.

That sounds like a good plan. I'm not too averse to lazy methods :-)

Any thoughts on thread and needle size? I get the impression that my needle and 0.7mm thread may be a little big.

Russell

.7mm thread is a bit thick, not the proper size you want. It will still work. Go for some linen or machine thread .58mm. Maybe use glover needles? Never used before but you should be able to pierce through 4 ounces of chrome tan.

Also look up videos on youtube and download them to your desktop and watch and re watch to get the steps right.

Thanks David.

I'd like to take your advice on the youtube tip, but I'm in Shanghai and it's blocked (yahoo doesn't seem to work anymore either...)

Hopefully I'll be in Australia next year and will be able to get onto it then. I may have to put this project on the backburner till then.