276ccm

hand sew machine

Hi, I thought maybe buying one of these hand sew machines... will the stitches be solid?, does they work ok? How does they actually work? Any advice? :-)

HANDSYMASK.jpg

post-6507-1212477565_thumb.jpg

Edited by 276ccm

Hi, I thought maybe buying one of these hand sew machines... will the stitches be solid?, does they work ok? How does they actually work? Any advice? :-)

Is there a photo of it???

I just added a photo.. I see I forgot hehe

I use one and like it, don't use thread that is too thick and waxy though as it has a habit of stripping the wax off and clogging where the thread pulls through. The thread that comes with it should be fine for most projects I ran out and had trouble locating more in Perth that's why I had the problem with clogging (had to go with a slightly thicker thread).

I'm quite slow at saddle stitching so I go with the hand stitcher when possible, it is quite simple to use the only thing you really have to worry about is getting the tension right so the knot part sits in the middle, once you get one you will see what I mean. It works well for what I do as I do mostly ornamental stuff if you do more stuctural stuff that gets alot of wear and tear you maybe better off doing saddle stitch cause if a stitch breaks it undos quite a few stitches.

Cheers,

Clair

Edited by cem

Thanks a lot cem!

I think I`m getting one today.. it´s not very expensive anyway, and I can start to test it out :-)

Thanks a lot cem!

I think I`m getting one today.. it´s not very expensive anyway, and I can start to test it out :-)

watch as you push it through multiple layers the needles are imho overly long and because of the thread feed, weak i slipped the needle broke and put it through my hand. It ruined a good peice of leather, all that blood.

It ruined a good peice of leather, all that blood.

Pip: try hydrogen peroxide- it may dissolve the blood stain (or it may not- but it's worth a try).

276ccm: IMHO, if you're trying to produce an item to sell, the tool is an 'ok' tool to use if you have no other alternative. It's a last resort-type of tool & it does serve a purpose, but it's something you don't really want to rely upon- if, for example, you don't keep the stitches even, or keep the tension tight & even, as cem mentioned, especially on long runs of stitching, the stitches tend to look kind of amateurish. Out of a thousand items I would handsew, I would use the tool maybe... once, perhaps twice...(?) [And I have two different tools of this type]. I consider it a tool for emergency repairs only, & for that, it does an admirable job. Just my 2 cents worth.

russ

276ccm...........IMHO......save your $$$$ and buy the Al Stolhman book "THE ART OF HANDSEWING "it is on

sale at Tandy now for $6.49

Thanks a lot, I`ll check that book for sure :-)

So if I understand you guys right, it´s bether to hand sew than use this tool.. I`m going to sew a bobber/chopper seat, and I don´t have a leather sew machine.. yet :-)

I got one of these, it combines the worse aspects of machine and hand sewing. takes as long as saddle stitch and if the thread breaks the whole stitch can fall apart.

get a

stitching wheel

harness needles

1, 4, and 5 pronged hole punches

Granite slab

rawhide or poly maul/mallet

thread

beeswax

This is important stuff to have and together you'll have more fun and a better looking product than if you were to just use that automatic awl.

Ed

For what you want to do I think hand saddle stitch is probably better my stuff is purely ornamental and you don't see the stitches so I don't run into the problems others have had with it. Definately get the hand sewing book it will teach you alot I was lucky in that it was included with all the leather stuff my sister gave me.

Cheers,

Clair

I tried that a few times and it became a non-starter.

I switched over to a 1 and 3 rectangle punch with hammer/mallet solution that is much easier to line up and get good results with. Some people might think it is slower but for me it is not and very easy to do.

get a

stitching wheel

harness needles

1, 4, and 5 pronged hole punches

Granite slab

rawhide or poly maul/mallet

thread

beeswax

This is important stuff to have and together you'll have more fun and a better looking product than if you were to just use that automatic awl.

Ed

You should probably also add a good cutting board (rubber or something) to punch on to protect the tips of the stitching chisels. . . ;)

L'Bum

Thanks for all good advices!! The book and some tools are ordered :-)

I picked up one of those tools dirt cheap and I still feel ripped off. The holes it makes are way too big compared to the size of the thread it comes with. I'm just going to hand stitch or buy a machine.

It is only meant for repairs, and not very good ones. It does not create a lockstitch. It's a chainstitch. Cut one side, and it all falls apart.

Spend the time, and shed a few drops of blood to learn the saddle stitch. There is nothing superior in strength and looks. Your work will look 500 times better, and your customers will appreciate it. Of course, affording it is another question, altogether.

Yeah I've since given up on it as well after stabbing myself with it and having a few broken threads. I got fairly quick at saddle stitch but have since moved house and all my leatherwork stuff is packed up so I'll probably be a slow poke again when I get the leatherwork stuff out again.