rdf1967

Back Stitching

Hi all.

Just started using my cowboy 3200 and love it so far...my problem is this...I am having hard time backstitching with it. I just cant seem to hit same holes...any tricks or hints on timing and ways to do this....If it is just practice that is great but I am sure there are some things I am doing wrong lol

Anyway any helpful comments or videos links would be greatly apprecciated

Thanks in advance

Rdf1967

You should post this in the leather sewing machine part of the forum, there are a few guys over there that will answer this question pretty quickly.

I'm two weeks in on my 3200 also. I watched Bruce Chaney You Tube videos several times (guitar strap and dog collar). Helped me a lot.

I stop the needle at the bottom of the stroke then throw the reverse lever. Hits the last hole just fine _BUT_ I end up with a birds nest in the bobbin, I haven't figured out that part yet. So today, left the thread long, and used harness needles to do the back stitching. Defeats the purpose of reverse IMO.

Following this thread hoping to learn more!

Thanks!

Ain't difficult guys. Cobra 4 but same machine. Sewing the main seam on western holsters needs to be neat but the double or triple stitch look is life. When I start at the seam I sew three holes and go into reverse anytime the needle starts to come up out of the third hole. Preferably before it clears the hole. The reverse on these machines are pretty precise but certain "things" make things move. I stitch three, back up to the first hole and, then, go. At the end of the seam, I stop, back up two holes (three in all) and come back to the last hole. You can finagle the thread so that it lays on top of the threads. AND, I use the wheel with my hands. AND, I use the "lift" pedal to make sure the needle hits the hole. And it ain't perfect.

I'm two weeks in on my 3200 also. I watched Bruce Chaney You Tube videos several times (guitar strap and dog collar). Helped me a lot.

I stop the needle at the bottom of the stroke then throw the reverse lever. Hits the last hole just fine _BUT_ I end up with a birds nest in the bobbin, I haven't figured out that part yet. So today, left the thread long, and used harness needles to do the back stitching. Defeats the purpose of reverse IMO.

Following this thread hoping to learn more!

Thanks!

That is strange. Are you sure your bobbin is coming off counter clockwise?? Have you asked your dealer??

That is strange. Are you sure your bobbin is coming off counter clockwise?? Have you asked your dealer??

No, I haven't had a chance to really dig into the matter. I have had this problem from the beginning. I assumed it was something that I am doing. I need to practice a bit more. My research here on the board has led me to believe that 90% of machine problems are/were operator error...figured I would work at it a while before calling, and or posting. Then this post came up...

Thanks for the advice...

I also have the 3200 and when I do backstitch, I get a "birdsnest" as well....sometimes a nicer looking one than other times........I too have begun to leave thread long enough and saddle stitching 3-4 stitches back....I have spoken to Ryan Neel and he has suggested that you need to make sure to have the needle down in the magterial before reversing......The top always looks acceptable, but the underside is less than acceptable for me......I will continue to practice with it to see if I can find the magic formula.............Don

I have had my machine for 3 months. In that time I have practiced a ton (first machine), and sewn a lot of projects as well. When I first got the machine, my backstitch wasn't exactly nice. I thought there may be a problem. Turns out it was me. The back stitch threads will never be as pretty as the others, not ever. But, they can look decent though. What helped me, was to go slow, and make sure that you hit the holes as perfect as you can.

Flipping the material, and back stitching the old school way, does somewhat lay the threads a little different for me, but you can't always do that, depending on how the seam and material is.

As for getting a birdsnest in the bobbin, I am clueless. Is the bobbin wound tight? Is it smoothly wound? Bad thread?

I am not throwing stones at all, but there is absolutely no reason to buy a 2K machine, and still have to hand stitch a single thing. That would create some bad anger issues for me.