JAM

Looking for batwing chaps patterns

Does anyone know where I can find batwing (and shotgun) chaps patterns (other than the Tandy package, which I have)?

Does anyone know where I can find batwing (and shotgun) chaps patterns (other than the Tandy package, which I have)?

I have Dusty Johnsons and have used them quite a bit. I have just learned to make changes depending on the persons build and height.

I would be glad to share them with you if you are interested. Send a PM

Rick J.

JAM,

Sounds like you might be looking for something in particular? I've managed to find ideas in some of the different antique shops. I once saw a set of unique batwings which at some point I intend to make my own version. They had pockets but not on the outside of the Chaps like normally seen. This particular pair was well worn (A dollar sized hole in one knee, grease stains, the back belt was broken and had been repaired with a leather braid.) and the shopkeeper wanted $1,100.00 for them. (So much for buying them for a pattern.) I have never seen a pair like them since. Those places are great for getting the creative jucies flowing. All that is required is to make adjustment to your patterns. (Be sure and think through how your going to fabricate and assemble so you don't have to pull it apart and start again. I've learned alot by messing up!) The Dusty Johnson patterns are good if you don't have them you should consider getting them. I've always made my own patterns from scratch. Got frustrated with trying to make from the standard patterns as they never seem to fit quite right. If you're looking for something special let us know. If I can be of help with your project, I'd be glad to.

Oh, I might warn you don't go into an antique store with a camera or a measuring tape, pad and pen, they don't like it too much. If I really wanted to measure something or make a sketch, I would ask first. Might save a little trouble and the embarassment of being thrown out. Not that I would know anything about that of course.

You can learn alot about how to measure for a set of custom fit chaps by looking at custom makers measurements they ask for when ordering a set of chaps. That can give you an idea of what you need to measure. The rest is up to your whim and design. I know this seems vauge maybe not alot of help but if you tell us what exactly you have in mind there is not alot more we can help with. I'm sure one of us has something laying around, the problem with custom patterns is they were designed for a particular individual and might not work well for someone else. Once you have worn custom chaps made for you, nothing else will do.

Edited by grumpyguy

Try www.klendasaddlery.com. They sell all kinds of patterns. I have used the Chinks pattern--great results.

Tandy sells a book of chap patterns, they turn out pretty good, at least mine did, you do have to adjust for sizing though, and they don't make any provisions on the patter nt odo so

Hi

I sell patterns for chinks and shot gun chaps, along with a How To Make Chinks DVD.

You can see and order them at www.cowcampsaddlery.webs.com

Mark

Thanks to everyone! This is all very good advice. Since I started this thread a couple of years ago I have learned to do pretty much everything that has been advised here. I've accumulated lots of patterns (buying/borrowing commercial patterns, copying chinks I purchased, trying to copy what I see in photos, etc.) and for shotguns for me I finally cut up a pair of old snug jeans and made a pattern from that... still working on getting the shapes and angles in the belts and top panels just right. And of course doing custom work for patient friends who will come for fittings and sit in the saddle on the saddle tree so I can see how they hang in use (how they fit in the saddle is always different than how they fit standing up). Learning from other folks' custom measuring diagrams has been very educational.

A couple of things I haven't tried yet are: (1) Very wide velcro panels to fasten the sides, especially on shotguns, and (2) wide elastic panels between the zipper and back leg of shotguns, all the way down the leg. I haven't been able to find sideways-stretch elastic for this, but there must be something that would work to let the shotguns stay very snug but still bend enough at the knee to make it easier to mount up.

I just finished my first pair of batwings for me and chinks for the missus, the Tandy pattern w/ Tandy elkhide, tooled tops and belts and they came out great!

I'm so hooked! Next project probably batwings like the tv show 'Rawhide' crew wore? The Elk is gorgeous but seems a little too supple? After a lot of trial and error they hang pretty well.

quote name='JAM' timestamp='1285772306' post='168846']

Thanks to everyone! This is all very good advice. Since I started this thread a couple of years ago I have learned to do pretty much everything that has been advised here. I've accumulated lots of patterns (buying/borrowing commercial patterns, copying chinks I purchased, trying to copy what I see in photos, etc.) and for shotguns for me I finally cut up a pair of old snug jeans and made a pattern from that... still working on getting the shapes and angles in the belts and top panels just right. And of course doing custom work for patient friends who will come for fittings and sit in the saddle on the saddle tree so I can see how they hang in use (how they fit in the saddle is always different than how they fit standing up). Learning from other folks' custom measuring diagrams has been very educational.

A couple of things I haven't tried yet are: (1) Very wide velcro panels to fasten the sides, especially on shotguns, and (2) wide elastic panels between the zipper and back leg of shotguns, all the way down the leg. I haven't been able to find sideways-stretch elastic for this, but there must be something that would work to let the shotguns stay very snug but still bend enough at the knee to make it easier to mount up.

post-13357-098574800 1285861176_thumb.jp

post-13357-088705300 1285861181_thumb.jp

I have Dusty Johnsons and have used them quite a bit. I have just learned to make changes depending on the persons build and height.

I would be glad to share them with you if you are interested. Send a PM

Rick J.

Hi I am looking at purchasing Dusty's chap dvd do you own it? Does it cover how to measure and and custom fit or does it just cover patterns and how to put them together

Thanks

I just finished my first pair of chaps, . . . shotgun, . . . for a little 11 year old cowgirl. Her bigger sister had a pair someone had give her, . . . just used them for my pattern, . . .

Learned a LOT !!!

For the smile I got on her face when she put them on the first time, . . . I could have almost walked away without a check, . . . but I need to pay my bills.

Can't see a lot of the details, . . . her mom wanted black on black (and I had a really beautiful piece of white buckskin), . . . but there they are.

I have a whole folder, . . . maybe 50 pictures of chaps, . . . chinks, . . . etc. They are made just like the people who wear them, . . . all sorts of sizes, shapes, colors, and textures.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-55471200-1366837457_thumb.jp

post-6728-0-83513700-1366837469_thumb.jp