Sign in to follow this  
Jordan

Juki LZ 586 holster and belt work?

I am wondering if a Juki LZ 586 would be a suitable machine for holster and belt work, any info would be helpful thanks.

Juki_lz_586.jpg

post-4868-1191629969_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jordan

Jordan, that is a zig zag machine (LZ), but I don't know much about the specifics. The flat machines made for heavier material usually have a DNU or LU prefix. I have a DNU 241 which looks similar. The LZ probably will be limited in the thread size for starters, mine can only use a 138 on the high end. You really should go with a cylinder bed machine for bulkier or layered work. The flat machines would do belts OK, but not projects that require alot of room to flip the work around under the machine head.

Tim

The reason I ask is I saw one for sale on craigs list for $300.00, looked in good condition I read up on it on some sites and the limited info I found said set on zero it sews a straight stitch has a clutch motor and does thin to thick material. I am very short on cash(disability income or lack there of) so I was thinking it would do till I can afford an artisan 3 or 4 thousand. Gotta save the fingers, running out of flintstone bandaids for the blisters LOL. Oh well at that price it is probably sold already.

The reason I ask is I saw one for sale on craigs list for $300.00, looked in good condition I read up on it on some sites and the limited info I found said set on zero it sews a straight stitch has a clutch motor and does thin to thick material. I am very short on cash(disability income or lack there of) so I was thinking it would do till I can afford an artisan 3 or 4 thousand. Gotta save the fingers, running out of flintstone bandaids for the blisters LOL. Oh well at that price it is probably sold already.

Jordan,

I just bought a Neil's Saddlery Model 5 machine. It's $899.00 plus $150 shipping. It's not a walking foot machine but it is a cylinder bed drop feed and sews up to 1/2" leather. I got mine last Monday and am having a blast practicing with it. I have sewed by hand for the last 8 years but a skin disease and arthritis make that impossible now days, had to go with a machine. Like you I had very limited funds and the Model 5 was the best I could afford. It's a knock off of the Ferdco 440 (and many others I suspect) and uses the same parts as the Ferdco. Sews great and goes thru 16 oz of strap leather like it's going thru butter. It will do until I can afford the big $$$ for something better. Look in the marketplace here on Leatherworker.net (link below). There is one for sale for $600 plus shipping from one of out members, esantoro (Ed). I just bought some bobbins from him for my machine and we've corresponded over the net a number of times. He's a good guy and gave me good advice on the Model 5.

http://www.leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=2014

John

Edited by gunfighter48

Hi Jordan,

LZ 586 is a great machine for sail work. I would pass on that one for holsters. That machine is really made to sew 92 thread all day long and I am pretty sure you can get 138 to run in it; 207 might work if you play with it a lot. For holsters, the biggest problem is the flat bed, it is just difficult getting close to things on holsters and bags. A cylinder arm would serve you better and a singer 153W102 or 153W103 might come in around $350 or so.

Art

I am wondering if a Juki LZ 586 would be a suitable machine for holster and belt work, any info would be helpful thanks.

thanks guys, I will continue to watch for one I can use. It will probably be awhile as I am in the process of finishing a 100 sq ft area in my basement, insulation, electrical, drywall and all the little things that need to be planned out for a workshop that is useable, but my back went on the fritz 3-4 days ago so just sitting up is real difficult right now. Yes I am contemplating the machine offered by esantoro among others, 2600 for a toro 4000, 1500 for a consew at ksl.com and about 4 others from a grand down to 200.00. Information overload is my problem when looking at all the different info the companies put out. it is very helpful to get the straight dope so to speak from this forum.