Sign in to follow this  
jana

Wax Tablet Case

This is one of the projects that I entered this weekend for an Arts and Science Competition for my barony. It is a three part project that involved metal work, woodworking and of course, leather work. The case was done without using a swivel knife, just beveling and backgrounding and was based on research that was done on historical sources. It was hand sewn with an awl and harness needles. I enjoyed working on this project with its various phases.

CTS_finished.JPG

post-10848-1247423387_thumb.jpg

That looks like a lovely job. I'm sure you had a huge sense of pleasure when you looked at the end result.

What reference sources did you use for this?

Ray

What reference sources did you use for this?

Thank you! Yes, it is one of those projects that you look at and feel completely satisfied at the end result. I used a lot of internet sources from various museums and the like, but my primary source for the case came from a great book called "Purses in Pieces" by Olaf Goubitz. This book has a lot of information on belt pouches from archaeological digs in the Netherlands. There is a couple of chapters on different types of cases and the author gives a good bit of information on wax tablet cases.

Jana,

I really like that case, it came out great. I have to ask, what is a wax tablet case???

Milli

Jana,

I have to ask, what is a wax tablet case???

A wax tablet is a historical writing pad!! The wood(or bone or ivory) was recessed to hold beeswax and you would write using the stylus. To keep everything together you would need the case.

lovely work!

while searching through museum photographs of old leather work, i found a few of those interesting little wax tablets about 2 years ago. i thought it would make a good project then, but i never got around to it.

i'm glad you did. you've done a wonderful job recreating a beautiful yet practical item from history.

ken

I really like it, and it's cool to learn a little piece of history. I can think of some things that a case like that could be used for now. Maybe for playing cards, or even to hold your bank cards and a little cash while traveling.

Milli

Nicely done, I havent heard of these since I was in school.

That is a very elegent looking case. Just out of curiosity did you have a picture of the back of it by chance.

... or even to hold your bank cards and a little cash while traveling.

Thank you! and I like your idea... I may have to look more seriously into "up-dating" ;)

That is a very elegent looking case. Just out of curiosity did you have a picture of the back of it by chance.

The batteries on my camera died while taking the last of the pictures for the documentation... but I will take a picture as soon as I have more. Meanwhile, the back is plain and flat and you can tell I need more practice using an awl!! :P

Really nice! How'd you do in the competition?

Thank you! and I like your idea... I may have to look more seriously into "up-dating" ;)

You could say that they are "retro"

Really nice! How'd you do in the competition?

LOL... Those silly people went and made me Baronial Arts and Science Champion!!!

:-) Were you in school in the 1400s? Just kidding - your statement sounded like 'we used to use these in school' - maybe I need my drugs.....

The batteries on my camera died while taking the last of the pictures for the documentation... but I will take a picture as soon as I have more. Meanwhile, the back is plain and flat and you can tell I need more practice using an awl!! :P

I think we all do

:-) Were you in school in the 1400s? Just kidding - your statement sounded like 'we used to use these in school' - maybe I need my drugs.....

Nope missed the 1400's lol, I just have not heard hide nor hair any mention of these since history class. One of those things you learn about and then dont even think about for a few (or 20) years then bam here they are lol.

LOL... Those silly people went and made me Baronial Arts and Science Champion!!!

Vivat and huzzah! (I don't know what the proper cheer is in Atenveldt...)

Just out of curiosity did you have a picture of the back of it by chance.

MadMaxx, here is the picture you wanted to see.

C_back.JPG

post-10848-1247508692_thumb.jpg

i thought it would make a good project then, but i never got around to it.

Ken, I would encourage you to go ahead and give it a try....the interesting thing about re-creating period leatherwork is that it brings home the fact that we are definitely keeping the art alive. What is old is new again!!

nice job, the tablets are a little easier to read if you mix some black pigment into the wax, bone black from an art store is non toxic, reasonably period, and works well.

Made a few of them to sell at SCA events, not particularly successful though. I always thought about making a medieval palm pilot with wax tablet, abacus (yes they used them in Europe too, that's how you add and subtract with roman numerals) and sundial, all bound together like a book.

Edited by fishguy

nice job, the tablets are a little easier to read if you mix some black pigment into the wax, bone black from an art store is non toxic, reasonably period, and works well.

I wanted to add black to the beeswax but the only thing I had on hand was black watercolor and when added to the hot wax it just beaded up on the bottom of the pan and did not mix, the reading I did suggested lamp black. Is bone black a powder?

I wanted to add black to the beeswax but the only thing I had on hand was black watercolor and when added to the hot wax it just beaded up on the bottom of the pan and did not mix, the reading I did suggested lamp black. Is bone black a powder?

Yup: http://naturalpigments.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=480-40S

You can get lamp black from the same source: http://naturalpigments.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=480-50S

Edited by tashabear

Thank you Tashabear, that is what I need!

Thank you Tashabear, that is what I need!

Google is my bitch!

(I should just make that a sig line...)

A HOOBAH from the Midrealm.....

I want.

So what are your duties - New Baronial Arts and Science Champion (ours has to make a project for the Barony)

A HOOBAH from the Midrealm.....

I want.

LOL :eusa_naughty: It needs to stick around for Kingdom A&S in October....

So what are your duties - New Baronial Arts and Science Champion (ours has to make a project for the Barony)

The same, Along with helping co-ordinate A&S night each month and Co-autocrating next years event. There are murmurs about having a competition between the Baronial Champions at Kingdom A&S... So far just murmurs

Edited by jana