Sign in to follow this  
Doolally

Newbie question: conditioning a quality English saddle?

I recently bought a good quality used (barely) English dressage saddle: "English" as in - made by a Walsall-trained Englishman from English leather, and English style, not Western!

It's a very nice saddle, but I have one problem with it; the leather used to make the main flaps is very stiff. I've conditioned it quite a bit with Effax lederbalsam, which has made it feel nice, but has done nothing for the flexibility.

Any other suggestions? I'm loathe to use Neatsfoot oil, as I would have in the "good old days" - or should I?

TIA!

I recently bought a good quality used (barely) English dressage saddle: "English" as in - made by a Walsall-trained Englishman from English leather, and English style, not Western!

It's a very nice saddle, but I have one problem with it; the leather used to make the main flaps is very stiff. I've conditioned it quite a bit with Effax lederbalsam, which has made it feel nice, but has done nothing for the flexibility.

Any other suggestions? I'm loathe to use Neatsfoot oil, as I would have in the "good old days" - or should I?

TIA!

Hi Doolally. I hope you don't have any pencils up your nose or underpants on your head?.

Back to seriousness. Can you provide a brand and model for the saddle in question???

Ask 20 people and you will get 20 different answers. I recommend a thin oil like Flexalan and glycerine saddle soap. The second thing is, you have to actually use the saddle and break it in. All the oil in the world is just going to give you an oily saddle. Someone came in the shop last week and wanted us to "roll" her saddle, it might help, but I'm not doing it.

Remember, leather is just like your skin, if its dry moisturize, otherwise just keep it clean.

Good luck,

Kevin

PS The Chronicle is at the end of the street I work on. My boss' mother was editor in the fifties and very early sixties I believe.

TIA!

Tia,

I used to be national sales director for a company called Dyo which had the sole distribution rights for effax product line in the US at the time. Effax is a really excellent product but I think if you read the label you will see that it does contain neatsfoot oil. I was wondering about oils a while back so I contacted the the Tanners Council and the information I got from them was that pure needs foot oil was by far and away the best oil to use on leather the only other oil that was close was a fish oil and that really probably isn't available to the average Joe. So there is nothing wrong or harmful about using neats foot oil. You want to avoid the compounds as many of them have sulfates in them and the sulfates are what cause the problems.

I think Kevin is right if you have put the Effax in, then you just need to break it in. You can just take it in your hand and work it and do what we call break the bone. Of course that will naturally happen as you ride.

David Genadek

Tia,

I used to be national sales director for a company called Dyo which had the sole distribution rights for effax product line in the US at the time. Effax is a really excellent product but I think if you read the label you will see that it does contain neatsfoot oil. I was wondering about oils a while back so I contacted the the Tanners Council and the information I got from them was that pure needs foot oil was by far and away the best oil to use on leather the only other oil that was close was a fish oil and that really probably isn't available to the average Joe. So there is nothing wrong or harmful about using neats foot oil. You want to avoid the compounds as many of them have sulfates in them and the sulfates are what cause the problems.

I think Kevin is right if you have put the Effax in, then you just need to break it in. You can just take it in your hand and work it and do what we call break the bone. Of course that will naturally happen as you ride.

David Genadek

David,

As an amateur wordsmith, I gotta ask you: breaking something in is called "breaking the bone?" If, not what the heck does that mean? And where (oh, where) does that come from??

Thanks.

Harvey

Los Angeles

Dr Jacksons Hide Rejuvenator is hands down, the best leather conditioner I have ever used.

You can buy it from Tandy: http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/search/searchresults/21978-00.aspx?feature=Product_1&kw=hide+rejuvenator