Sign in to follow this  
HorsehairBraider

Show Bridle

I'll start by saying I did not do the leather work or the silver work on this bridle. The customer had a headstall which she sent to me, and then she had these folks do the sterling silver conchos and buckles, buckle tips and keepers. The whole bunch was sent off to me to assemble and then I was to put in braided horsehair knots.

The bridle silver is really nice quality. Just beautiful. Anyone wanting bridle silver will be well served by those folks.

Here it is on my stallion Tito:

titobridle1.jpg

And of course you'll all want to see a close-up of the knots:

titobridle2.jpg

I started it as a herringbone of two passes but added in a third pass. Now on that third pass I did have to nest that pass, so maybe that changes the status of this knot, I'm not sure. But I really wanted all three colors in this, so that meant an O3, U3 sequence in the finished knot.

This was a blast to make and I was so happy for the chance to do it. It's going to look absolutely fabulous on the customer's gorgeous mare.

post-5309-126939439868_thumb.jpg

post-5309-126939445186_thumb.jpg

Very nice!

very very !!! nice it is a great lookin halter, the horse hair and the silver go great together. the knots look great. by the way the way you tied the herring bone with a nested pass is refered to as a horn knot in Tom Hall's intro to turks heads. great job

That really nice looking work, thanks for sharing.

The mare is beautifull and your work is stunning mate ,,, keep it up ,

i know you are a female ,, but i can still call ya mate ????

Edited by Bevan

The mare is beautifull and your work is stunning mate ,,, keep it up ,

i know you are a female ,, but i can still call ya mate ????

Can you still call me mate? NO problem! Surely you must know that a lot of American females consider the Australian accent the sexiest one around - you can call me just about anything (except late to supper). ;)

And thanks, everybody!

lilpep, thanks for letting me know the name of that knot. I figured since it had a nested pass it could not be called a herringbone but since I don't have the Tom Hall books I was not aware of that name. Guess I'll have to get those books.

That looks great and the interweave has some nice contrast. I am amazing that are doing that with horsehair. I started a horsehair tassel the other night and after cursing and yelling at the hair for an hour, I was ready to throw the whole thing away. Sorry i digressed.