BearMan

We're Making Some More Tools

Hi Everybody,

We've been thinking about coming out with some more tools for a while now.

So,,, here we go,,, we've come up with the "Stinger" Awl Handle. The "Stinger" is designed to fit very nicely in the shape of the hand. the "Stinger" in the picture is made with Rosewood, but there are several other woods that would work just fine. Also, another "Very Limited" release of some miniature "Pool Ball Awl Handles". We will only be able to make "about" 12-15 of these, as that's all pool balls we have. No 8 Balls or Cue Balls. Once we find all of them, I'll list what numbers that are available. Of course both of the Awl Handles can be made with a flat spot to help keep them from rolling off the bench.

We now have a line of Petal Lifters, that are made with Hardened Tool Steel, in 3 sizes,,, 1/4",, 7/32",, & 5/32". I made the set in the picture over a year ago, & they have not needed sharpening even once. The handles are designed to fit in the palm of the hand, giving you a lot better control.

Thanks for looking!! Ed the"BearMan" & Beary

LeatherBurnishers@yahoo.com

post-7175-033802400 1337203081_thumb.jpg

post-7175-008254000 1337203097_thumb.jpg

post-7175-032119300 1337203108_thumb.jpg

post-7175-070323300 1337203119_thumb.jpg

post-7175-056581600 1337203155_thumb.jpg

post-7175-024152400 1337203171_thumb.jpg

I want number 13 when it is ready!! Just let me know how much and address and I will send money.

Put me down for an awl Ed. I'll take #10. Nice work as usual.

Looking good Ed! Let me know how much for #3 if it's available when they are done.

Chris

I think I would also like a "Stinger handle" and would look really good if made from cocobolo like the maul you made me.

Hi Everybody,

Well,,,, I guess I need to find my "stash" of pool balls,,, so I can figure out what numbers I have. If I have those numbers, I will put your names on them. Good thing I have today off,,, hehehe So far, the only numbers I'm sure of are: 6,12, & 14,,, but I know I have a bag of balls in a box somewhere. Thanks,,, BTW, the collet that actually holds the Awl blade, has 2 slightly different sizes, so pretty much any awl bade will fit. The Awl blade pictured with the "Stinger" is just for demo purposes. Thanks for looking,,, Ed the"BearMan"

I was able to find the Pool Balls a lot quicker than expected. Mike, BluesMan, & Chris, I have your numbers set aside.

Here are the numbers I have left: 1,2,4(x2),5(x2),6, 9(x2),10, 11(x2),12(x2),13,14(x2)15,,, & 1 cue ball. Thanks,,,

Ed,

What awl do I use in the handle. Something from SLC? I really need a good awl, badly.

I believe the one I use most often is a #57 or 56 Osborne. The #56 stitching awl blade is 2 1/4" & the #57 is 2 1/2". But,,, the awls from Douglas are probably the best.

Have an osborne and had to sharpen it out of the bag. In my mind tools should come Sharp and ready for use. I need the end awl.

Hi Ed, could you tell me what a rosewood awl would be, and would it be possible to get it with the blade already in it, like the one you have that looks like it might actually go through leather and I could sew? Thanks, Cheryl

Ed- I too would like a price on an awl and handle. I love the maul- haven't used any other since---For ANYTHING! light or heavy!!

thanks again for your quality products.

respectfully

pete

Hi Everybody ,,I believe there was a thread on here a while ago about how to sharpen an Awl Blade. I'll look, but it's really not that hard,, & besides it's something that you will need to do from time to time anyway, as they do get dull. A good sharp awl will slide through a double thickness of 8-10oz leather with very little effort. A dull awl blade creates lots of problems. Just like a dull knife is the one that will cut you,,, a dull awl is the one you wind up stabbing your fingers with. Take Care,,, Thanks for looking,,, Ed

Mr. Bearman,

You clearly are the one who can make any tool so when are you going to strart making plough gauges? It seems there is only one person in North America who has any and a 1000 who need them.

Hmmm a Plough Guage?? Interesting,,, The knife part,,, no problem,,, the framework,,,?? I'll deffinately have to sleep on that one. Yes, I keep a notebook next to the bed, as a lot of my designs & ideas happen in the middle of the night. I don't know,,, might have to do some redesigning. I've never actually used one before. I've alwasys wondered about the top cross bar, & how that was used. Is it used to hold the leather down so that it doesn't ride up & out? Hmmmm,,, got me thinking now. My initial thinking is, why not make it to where you can use your head knife in it, rather than having to have another cutting tool with only one use. I'll just have to let you know,,, Ed

BTW,,, I contacted Bob Douglas tools,,, they are at Sheridan,,, Thier awl blades are $27.00,,, thats a great price for a blade of that quality, that comes Sharp!

With that news Ed were back in the Bearman Awl game. The best of two worlds a Douglas blade in a Bearman handle. As for the plough gauge I would be happy to draw mine up for you. Let me know. I can get photos and make some drawings. :You_Rock_Emoticon: The interchangability of a round knife is an intersting idea.