I'm about to spend a *lot* of money on a handbag with leather handles.

The handle is made of good quality leather and comes nearly straight. It is supposed to mold to the wearers shoulder over time, but a lot of people have reported ripples on the underside of the handle.

Is there anything I can do to my bag when I get it to avoid this problem?

post-42849-0-78542600-1372172981_thumb.j

post-42849-0-23671900-1372172982_thumb.j

post-42849-0-74836100-1372172982_thumb.j

post-42849-0-32116000-1372172983_thumb.j

post-42849-0-79242000-1372172983_thumb.j

Any tube that is bent either has to wrinkle on the inside of the bend, or stretch on the outside of the bend since the inside radius is less than outside.

Depending on how the leather is finished, and what type of tannage it is, you can dampen the leather on the outside radius where the lacing and join is, then stretch and form the outside radius to make the handle curve the amount you want it to be. Then it needs to be held in that position till it dries.

Depends to on the risk you are willing to take on an expensive bag.

Tom

:17:

Basically, you're going to have to wet it down (hopefully - depending on the leather) and wet form it to fit YOUR shoulder. Once it's wet, it should bend and stretch without all the wrinkles and then once it's dry, it will hold that shape. But, test the moisture on a small section of the handle that's not visible to see how it reacts. And, we're not talking a spritz here - WET.

So should I wet just the outside and stretch that? I was thinking of putting the whole handle in water then wrapping with a towel and hanging the bag over a door knob, with a few books inside the bag. But it seems from what you're saying that won't help. Should I try my plan with just the top braided part wet?

P.S. I made leather bookmarks with my daughter's girl scout troop during our fall camping trip. But that's it for my experience with leather working!