dragonspit

My First,,,,consignment?

Well I been getting all kinds of help through the forums. I had not been posting as I dont have a pc right now. but I found that if I take a reasonable pic with my smart phone, I could change the size at my office pc and well, lets see how that goes.

I have only really created 3 things since picking up leather a couple of months ago, a Tandy wallet, a personal notepad holder and what I have posted here. The post here I was asked to make when a co worker saw mine. Mine wasnt all that, but it had lots of detail work which she really liked. all the other stuff was just stuff, but she liked the tooling. My did not have a spine cover and the liner was suede and the edges not done so well. my first large hand sewing piece to. it wasnt bad, but I was surprised she wanted to pay for one.

I spent a little more time on the design and the details from what I learned and its much much better than mine. not perfect by any means, but nice. I know she will like it. I had some likes and dislikes and thought Id mention them, anyone want to add notes is just fine.

I liked how my front panel looked. my own design, and it could be better, but I liked that it had negative space and was more elegant than overwhelming for a lady exec. I like the spine cover, an obvious error to some, I questioned but didnt get a response and didnt know any better till I sewed it on. However I was reasonably happy (was concerned prior) that the spine outline and what I tooled wouldnt line up right, it did, and I liked the little lacing accent. I like the interior layout and it folds nicely. I like the natural color. Its a bit cleaner than mine on the edging. I worked out some of the issues, but not all.

Dislikes:

i used a different thread, it broke more than once. I didnt seem to go quite deep enough with my grooving. but it was only my second grooving. I see that you probably shouldnt put a spine cover on, unless you are separating the main panels. if its a solid panel, probablty best not to do a spine cover. I was upset I muffed the tooling of the tri athlete, she will have no idea I would even know she is a triathlete. she will like it, but its rough. there were parts of the organize that didnt work out as well, the phone holder is a good idea. i did a wet mold but after a few days it kind of relaxed out, so when I sewed it, I pushed it in, not realizing, I then made it look crooked or actually made the card holder look crooked. oh well, live and learn.

I could go on. here are some not great but decent pics.

there ya go john, something new lol.

post-16197-070083500 1299632071_thumb.jp

post-16197-024829800 1299632081_thumb.jp

post-16197-020106100 1299632096_thumb.jp

post-16197-080899400 1299632105_thumb.jp

Really nice job. I really like the inside.

That's very nice! I like the way it's layed out. Thank you for sharing. john

I like the "hidden" design under the pad of paper. Those sort of elements always appeal to me. You're right on about the spine being for three-part notebooks, but we all work through those things and it does not look bad at all. The idea of going outside the "bounds" with your front and back cover is also nice. Keep at it, especially the self-critique, and practice on those areas you think are weak. You're way ahead of where many of use were at this point!

Dave

thanks for taking the time to comment folks. If you see anything that you could add to, other than what I have said, please pipe up. Im pretty hard to dent on the crit side.

Dave, Kind words, thank you.

I have always had a knack for finding that little thing that is personal. I have done a bunch of hot rod art., some pen and ink, some digital, some combined and everything in between. but the one constant is I alway manage to do personal things that make them happy or makes that art theirs. I am hoping I can continue that trend on these one offs. I know I got it on this one. I just keep learning about at least one thing, every project. It may be that all my past life hobbies and experiences are coming to bear fruit. from artwork, to painting custom stuff, to trying to pinstripe, many different things. or maybe Im just ready to settle on something, but Im really enjoying this. part of it I think, I have some solid in my hand when Im done.

VERY nice, I like the way the spine makes it look, Very cool design and I think you did and awesome job on the tooling. The only thing I would have done differant is to put your stitch line in a little further. If your willing to share your design that would be supercool also. Great job.

Peace

Bryan

VERY nice, I like the way the spine makes it look, Very cool design and I think you did and awesome job on the tooling. The only thing I would have done differant is to put your stitch line in a little further. If your willing to share your design that would be supercool also. Great job.

Peace

Bryan

Hi Bryan, thanks for kind words. the stitching was in a little bit more, say 1/8", but I made a cut errro in my inner that I needed to trim, so I decided to trim the entire thing, which I thought I might anyway, i just took a bit more than I planned. Thought I had added enough extra but I guess that is all part of the learning curve.

I would be more than happy to share any of my design if I can figure a way to transfer it, I am assuming you mean the tooling part? I used to do a lot of digital artwork and had all kinds of ways to do this, and will most likely do again so that I can catalogue and print out designs as I want, but right now, I got no pc (except at work) and no way I can think of to transfer. but let me think on it to figure a way. Just let me know what it is exactly your looking to use, the layout in general or the tooling design?

Bob