Beewoman

Best Type Of Pliers For Hand Stitching?

Hi,

I am starting my first piece and have got blisters from pulling needles through the leather, what type of pliers should I get to help pull the needles through the leather without damaging the needles?????

(blowing on blisters boo hoo)

According to master craftsman Nigel Armitage, look for either dentist pliers, or jeweler pliers, as they have no serrations on the jaws and will not mar your needles.

Put the head of the needle in the pliers and pull straight out. Do not put the pliers perpendicular to the needles, as the pointy end is exposed and you could bend the needle.

I just wrapped the jaws of normal pliers with thin leather... Works fine for the odd times I use them.

use nitrile or latex gloves...the gloves will give you an added grip on the needles, without reducing your speed to grab a pair of pliers for every pull.

I mostly try to coat the pads of my index fingers and thumb with my stitching wax/rosin mix which makes my grip very tacky to grab the needles. But when I need a little more grip I use a smooth jaw pair like these http://www.harborfreight.com/4-3-4-quarter-inch-bent-needle-nose-pliers-40698.html that HF usually has in a bulk bin for $0.99 (orange handles). I think they are smaller than the ones in the link. The bent jaws let me reach over the top and grab a needle with the pliers using my strong hand. At that point I'm pushing instead of pulling, but I don't have to constantly swap hands with the pliers.

I mostly try to coat the pads of my index fingers and thumb with my stitching wax/rosin mix which makes my grip very tacky to grab the needles. But when I need a little more grip I use a smooth jaw pair like these http://www.harborfre...iers-40698.html that HF usually has in a bulk bin for $0.99 (orange handles). I think they are smaller than the ones in the link. The bent jaws let me reach over the top and grab a needle with the pliers using my strong hand. At that point I'm pushing instead of pulling, but I don't have to constantly swap hands with the pliers.

I have those pliers too, they are way bigger than the ones in the set of three. They work, but it is hard the leave them in your hand as you are working. They do work, and it is a way to save a couple dollars.

Put the head of the needle in the pliers and pull straight out. Do not put the pliers perpendicular to the needles, as the pointy end is exposed and you could bend the needle.

Or ram it into your thigh! Ask me how I know....

Regards

Michael

Or ram it into your thigh! Ask me how I know....

Regards

Michael

HA!! Please, do tell! :)

I have those pliers too, they are way bigger than the ones in the set of three. They work, but it is hard the leave them in your hand as you are working. They do work, and it is a way to save a couple dollars.

I don't think the ones I linked are the ones I have, because mine are palm sized like yours. I just couldn't find the ones I have listed online. They are the orange handles bulk bin pliers usually below all the models hanging on hooks. They're pretty small. My point was that I like the bent jaws so that I can "pull" needles either direction with my right hand only.

Pliers aren't the best solution. Try smaller needles and remember to taper the thread ends. If done correctly it's easy to fit a 5 chord thread in the eye of an Osborne #4 needle.

Not that I do a lot of sewing, but when I do, I generally grab these Xelite bent needle nose.

post-34211-0-84708200-1367328154_thumb.j

Pliers aren't the best solution. Try smaller needles and remember to taper the thread ends. If done correctly it's easy to fit a 5 chord thread in the eye of an Osborne #4 needle.

This. Pliers have a place but in humble opinion if you're using them a lot, something is wrong.

Edited by Matt S

Agreed. I was taught that using pliers, means you're doing something wrong. You have to find the balance of getting the right sized awl, needles, and thread. This is taught by many master craftsman.

So, there's something wrong with using brute force...?

Man, I must be doing nearly everything wrong. :P

Edited by shtoink

Shtoink,

It's a discovery thing. Ya' just gotta try a lot of different combinations like awl sharpness, thread size, needle size, tapered thread ends, etc and then, at least for me, there was a moment when everything just clicked. The best moment was finally conquering awl sharpening. So many issues with leather can be solved with sharp tools.

Slight confession . . . sometimes on doing the ending back stitches and trying cram the threads back through the holes that already plugged with a couple o' threads pliers can be useful.

Cheers!

HA!! Please, do tell! :)

Really?... Ok, then.

1) Sitting comfortably hold the piece between your knees

2) Pull the needle through holding it wrong with the pliers

3) Let the piece slip

4) Reflex action with the knees to catch the piece while the needle is not entirely clear

Made myself a stitching pony after this experience.

Regards

Michael

So, there's something wrong with using brute force...?

Man, I must be doing nearly everything wrong. :P

Hahahahahah me too,

THankyou all for the replies, I have bought a small pair of pliers and that has made life MUCH easier :) but I will look into smaller needles too (when I work out what size I have hahahahaha) should a smaller needle work even when you are stitching through 0.6cm??? I guess I will have to read much more about sewing and tool selection hahahahaha

Hahahahahah me too,

THankyou all for the replies, I have bought a small pair of pliers and that has made life MUCH easier :) but I will look into smaller needles too (when I work out what size I have hahahahaha) should a smaller needle work even when you are stitching through 0.6cm??? I guess I will have to read much more about sewing and tool selection hahahahaha

The smallest harness needles commonly available are John James no4. They are commonly available through reputable dealers like Abbey and Le Prevo. (Tandy are not, in my humble opinion, reputable.) No2 needles are a bit trickier but will work with 18/3 linen thread if you haven't got the hang of tapreing or rolling threads. A thickness of 6mm is no issue.

I don't use pliers to pull except in extreme cases like the end of a run when I purposely make the hole smaller and work back a couple of stitches to end the run. Mostly I get the wax on my fingers from the thread till they are "sticky". This helps me get a grip on the needles, wish it was that easy to get a grip on other things I need to!

Bob