RoosterShooter

Ordered From Wickett & Craig ... Got The Runaround!

I placed an order with Wickett & Craig on Monday and was told it would ship on Tuesday.

Tuesday I called to get a tracking number and was told that it was in splitting, and would go out Wednesday.

Wednesday I called and was told it would go out Thursday or Friday, and TODAY I called and they said it would go out Friday or Monday!

So, I canceled my order due to an entire week being wasted and being led around the bush! :dunno:

Has anyone else had this issue with them? I was trying to find an alternative to Hermann Oak, but I guess that's what I get for thinking the grass is greener!

Your thoughts?

I haven't ordered W/C for quite a while. I thought about it a while back -- probably same reason as you -- some of the HO I've seen lately has been LESS THAN STELLAR quality.

But, the W/C web site been non-functioning for a good while now, and I couldn't find the number. Oh, crap.. now that i think about it,. probly on the back of that sample thing that still hanging in the shop ... :)

The last time I ordered was about 6 months ago...I called in the morning and they shipped the next day and I receive it within 3 days through UPS, to Virginia. I did not have it split so I guess all the had to do was pick it from their stock and box it up. I like them and have never had a problem with them or their leather.

Ordered 20 hides for Holster work received in about a week..

Here's my thing,

If they had been honest with me up front and told me it was going to be a week for splitting I would have swallowed hard and dealt with it.

My only issue is the fact that they could tell me the truth about the lead time.

Now, I might give them another chance sometime, but I'm going to be up front and tell them to give me a realistic time frame.

And, you're right. Hermann Oaks quality has been seriously lacking lately. The last batch of 30+ hides I received from them were ordered as B Grade, but I can bet there wasn't a single one in the bunch that was even close to a B. On a big order like that I just had to use what I can and figure out the rest. It would kill me to ship it back, and then I'd be stuck with nothing until something else came in.

My issue is that I'll be running on 'Production Level' within the next 3 to 4 months, and I can't have people beating around the bush on quality when I have obligations to fill with distributors and gun shops!

I feel your pain. I recently posted about W&C quality having gone down over the last few years. I usually have to wait for weeks for my order but I do have some custom preferences when I order. I tried an "A" side from Goliger a while back but had to return it as it was just crap and I was quite specific about what I needed when I ordered. I remember when Hermann Oak leather was very nice but that was decades ago. I guess it's just a tough time to be in this business if you care about or need quality leather.

Rooster, who did you speak with when you placed your order? I had always spoken to Matt or Glenn when I called, but the last time I was connected to Kylie. Speaking with her left me feeling that because I wasn't placing a very large order I didn't really matter. Matt is the sales manager, maybe you could talk with him and explain your situation.

Note to self: The girl at W/C thinks size matters.

Note to self: The girl at W/C thinks size matters.

W&C is one of only a few American tanneries left. They're very busy and have only three sales reps. It's sometimes hard to get through to Kylie, the *woman* at W&C, but she has always been very helpful to me even when I'm making small orders trying new things out.

And as for timing, I find it very surprising that a week to ship is unreasonable enough to cancel a transaction and that not being informed about several day delays when they're working to capacity such that you're getting things directly from their production line makes you feel like you were being jerked around. My last order took a week to process because one tannage was only expected to come out of production several days after I placed my order. Fine with me.

To be clear, I'm not associated with W&C, I just find some of their products to be superior and worth buying, and their service to be perfectly adequate. I guess it's a matter of expectations. I don't expect B to B orders from a busy plant to ship next day.

I think they don't have in stock

I think they don't have in stock